PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

rack and pinion and rear differential. need some advice and help

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2010, 01:00 AM
Default rack and pinion and rear differential. need some advice and help

Hi! I have a problem with the rack and pinion and the rear differential. Whenever i go faster i hear something( sounds like a motor or an old car running) from the back. So I went to 2 auto shops. They said that it was the rack and pinion problem and some bearing on the rear differential. They quoted me for parts and labor for 2500. Can anyone help me find new parts (rack and pinion and rear differential) for a better price and a good quality. and for the labor too what should be the right price for it. Thanks in advance.

Old 08-10-2010, 10:15 AM
Super Moderator

Not enough info. to help with anything. When you go faster than what?

The first thing to (usually) go in the rear diffs is the pinion shim, once that gets worn thin, you develope a a whine at highway speeds. Eventually you will cross the pinion gear with the ring teeth and toast your gear set, put metal shavings in the bearings and need a complete rebuild. If you just need the pinion shim replaced, that is a different story. If you have clunking, that's a different problem.

Pull the drain plug and change the rear diff fliud, when you do, inspect the gear lube to see what is in it. Of course all this depends on how many miles your truck has ????? and how much trailer towing you have done.

Old 02-20-2017, 02:42 PM
Default Speed reply

Originally Posted by Doc Olds
Not enough info. to help with anything. When you go faster than what?

The first thing to (usually) go in the rear diffs is the pinion shim, once that gets worn thin, you develope a a whine at highway speeds. Eventually you will cross the pinion gear with the ring teeth and toast your gear set, put metal shavings in the bearings and need a complete rebuild. If you just need the pinion shim replaced, that is a different story. If you have clunking, that's a different problem.

Pull the drain plug and change the rear diff fliud, when you do, inspect the gear lube to see what is in it. Of course all this depends on how many miles your truck has ????? and how much trailer towing you have done.
Okay I've had a day to rationalize and test drive it to listen again. I was drivMing on the highway when the noise began. High pitched sound that was quiet enough to dismiss as road noise but got louder until I decided it was not right. Today driving it I noticed it doesn't make the grinding noise until I get up to 10 or 15 miles an hour. When I would touch the gas lightly the sound would go quiet for a second. When I would coast it seemed like I could here it rattle and grind like something was loose and vibrating from the harmonics. I am not tooled for replacing a lot of stuff on my own. I jacked it up today and pulled out the brake pads which looked fine. Since the sound seems to be on the passenger front wheel I was wondering if something was stuck in the brake pad. Still doing my research. Thanks for the response.

Old 02-21-2017, 03:09 PM
Super Moderator

Please do not dig up OLD as dirt threads, this one was last posted in 08/10/10... that would be from 6.5 years ago......

You asked a question in the H3 section. Stick with that one. Plastering this board with repeat questions and digging up OLD stuff is not how forums work.

Please do not post in this thread again.