Hummer H3 For the Hummer driver who wants the rugged look and off road capabilities of the Hummer, but in a smaller size and with a more fuel economy friendly engine.

Rack and Pinion Movement

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2013, 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by daiglesbagels
I noticed most of the DIY fixes and custom parts (such as scorpworks bracket) dont have a bushing in it which raises some concerns for me. I am no engineer but I would think the GM engineers put a bushing on the rack mount for a reason.
...'au contraire mon frere'...IMO, I also believe that that the GM engineers put a bushing on the rack mount for a reason and this is what sets the Scorpworks bracket apart from all the others. It uses O-ring bushings that allow for the GM factory-designed steering rack's ability to float in the rack mount yet securley mounts the rack to eliminate the rack from moving from side-to-side & from top-to-bottom and back.

The problem with the OEM rack mount, is that over time, as the OEM bushing wears out, the rack begins to move more and more and begins to push up and down on the OEM C-shaped rack mount and because of the forces exerted by the rack, it easily and quickly bends and distorts not only the thin metal C-shaped rack mount but also the thin-metal OEM mount plate on the support crossmember that you bolt the rack mount and bushing to. The Scorprworks mount bracket solves these issues due to its strength and one-of-a-kind, proprietary design and retains the OEM steering feel of the H3 with the use of the bushings. You are correct that the other available after-market rack mounts do not incorporate bushings into their respective designs and as a result, you will have metal-to-metal contact between the rack and the mount that you will feel and notice in your steering. That fact already has been noted and documented by someone who installed one of the other aftermarket mounts on their H3.

Old 06-03-2013, 03:24 PM

Thanks so much for the information! I could not find a good picture of the Scorpworks bracket and just assumed that it did not have a bushing in it, thats what I get for assuming. :-p Whats the pricing on the Scorpworks bracket?

Old 06-04-2013, 12:53 AM

Yep, GM "designed" a inferior krappy weak mounting arrangement for our rigs. They built them for soccer moms who don't want to feel anything through the steering wheel or they just used parte they had lying around form other GM vehicles. That's why we are having to replace racks when the OEM mounts and bushings fail and the rack itself separates or moves to much and cracks the lines.

Just remember there are 2 different schools of thought on the replacement/retro fit mounts.
1. Secure ALL of the mounting points with improved materials resulting in NO MOVEMENT of the steering rack (Outfitter Designs, Ultimate Power Steering & all the others)
OR
2. Just throw a larger bracket at it with some O-rings for movement/no movement (scorpworks).

Originally Posted by Bigunit
IMO, I also believe that that the GM engineers put a bushing on the rack mount for a reason and this is what sets the Scorpworks bracket apart from all the others. It uses O-ring bushings that allow for the GM factory-designed steering rack's ability to float in the rack mount yet securley mounts the rack to eliminate the rack from moving from side-to-side & from top-to-bottom and back.
WOW! Just WOW! So from your explination above we are suppose to believe that instead of solidly mounting the entire unit with a mounting bracket AND new bushings this 1 super duper mount (with no new bushings on the other end???) will hold the rack securly from "moving from side-to-side & from top-to-bottom and back" AND "float in the rack mount"! HOLY COW IT MOVES BUT IT DOES NOT MOVE!

Last edited by TAINTER; 06-04-2013 at 09:38 PM.
Old 06-04-2013, 06:43 AM
Super Moderator

The good thing is you now have options that are an improvement over the OEM set whereas a year ago you had to replace the crappy OEM set up with another crappy OEM set up. All of them are better than what your truck came with. There are people running all of the fixes and the only complaint I have seen is that one of them has a harsher feel to it. Do your research and pick one.

Old 06-04-2013, 08:49 AM
Default bushing or no bushing this is the question

yes, the bushing does NOT need to be there. Many car makers uses solid mounting of their racks and there is no disadvantages. But that is "designed" to be like that. GM and H3 are not. So to re-engineer it might be oke but I'd just throw a Toyota bushing set in and call it a small upgrade fix.
The best and cheapest solution would be to double the clamp, put an another one on the other side with the poly bushing.

It might not have a solid design but it may not need one. As it is designed to be an off-road truck, I can see the point to design some cushion in the steering.

there you go, choices are your as always. I just advise to do something fast, before the oem crap bushing fails, as it could destroy the steering rack !

Old 06-10-2013, 06:29 PM

I am at a 103k and the bushings are going out! I think 112$ for bushing and shipped isn't a bad fix if it will hold up another 100k!!

Old 06-11-2013, 03:33 AM

I just reinforced the stock bushing with some make your own gasket motion absorbing type and its need good. My problem is rattling when shacking wheel left to right. Had wife shake w as I was underneath and there was a clank sound coming from the joint where the steering shaft meets the rack. BAD Steering rack. Guy I bought it from never aligned it have a feeling that caused all the premature wear on the suspension.