Hummer H3 For the Hummer driver who wants the rugged look and off road capabilities of the Hummer, but in a smaller size and with a more fuel economy friendly engine.

Rack and Pinion Movement

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2012, 10:00 PM

I THINK he posted the message - sold out for now - but if not, then I'm game too !!! I thought they were sold out.

Old 02-22-2012, 11:22 PM

Guys I am out but will go back over these posts and add up how many I need to order after a bit. I want to get as many as I can to keep the price down. Then I will contact those that said they wanted them and ship them out.
Let's wait a little longer so I can get about 20 more at one time.

Old 02-27-2012, 07:11 PM

Ill take a set please! Im sure this is why my 3 feels like its "sliding on Ice" around rough turns. Great job!

Old 02-27-2012, 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by HawaiianH3
Ill take a set please! Im sure this is why my 3 feels like its "sliding on Ice" around rough turns. Great job!
Come on Hawaiian, be honest, the only ice you ever see is floating in your Pina Colada....lol

Old 02-27-2012, 11:20 PM

I will keep checking back and making a list and checking it twice, oh that's the other guy with a white beard. I will fire off an order here fairly soon.

The last batch I sold for $40 including shipping. If I can get almost the same price I will keep the same. I have to cut them in half after I get them.
Stay tuned
Replacing the rack will not fix it except the new rubber bushing they will install.
The rubber bushing failing will allow the rack to move around in the bracket and rub the paint off of both. If you get the sleeve tight it will not move.
Later I will post a more detailed method of getting it tight. There seems to be some variables depending on how long you waited to do it and the condition of the bracket. I have a couple of different thing to try and it works.
Here is a rack and bracket where the rubber bushing became distorted and wore the paint off.
Name:  DAH_9926.jpg
Views: 1750
Size:  66.1 KB
Name:  9934wear.jpg
Views: 1717
Size:  76.0 KB
paint is not a problem, it's movement which can break the rack.

Last edited by Hunner; 02-28-2012 at 12:05 AM.
Old 02-28-2012, 03:26 PM
Red face polyurethane bushing set available

I found a polyurethane bushing set for the steering rack.
GM no longer sells the rubber as it failed prematurely.

The polyurethane does look a little better as far as strength.
Its not solid, like Hunner's solution but a good poly bushing can be just as good.

I have a lot of hope in this poly bushing, if not then I get a machine shop cut a same dia. pipes to that width and cut them in half just like Hunner did.
The main reason I wanted to stay away from the solid because it might be
too harsh/noisy.
I used poly bushing in my track car and worked out ok, but they only last if you keep greasing them.

Old 02-28-2012, 09:23 PM

So where did you find the poly at? Do you have a URL?

Old 02-28-2012, 09:43 PM

Originally Posted by wortex
GM no longer sells the rubber as it failed prematurely.

The polyurethane does look a little better as far as strength.
Its not solid, like Hunner's solution but a good poly bushing can be just as good.

I have a lot of hope in this poly bushing, if not then I get a machine shop cut a same dia. pipes to that width and cut them in half just like Hunner did.
The main reason I wanted to stay away from the solid because it might be
too harsh/noisy.
I used poly bushing in my track car and worked out ok, but they only last if you keep greasing them.
You are saying that GM no longer sells the replacement rubber bushing but does not offer anything else?
Finding a poly bushing that was 2 3/16 ID inch was a stroke of luck.
Share that source and thickness of the walls or OD with us.
Have you found some pipe also with ID 2 3/16 with an OD that is not greater than the rubber bushing was so as not to mis-align the rack?
Share that too, you did good finding those sizes.
I don't hear or feel anything but solid steering without all the slack and movement and knocking sounds.

Old 02-29-2012, 07:07 PM

wortex, Just trying to set things straight for everyone following this thread. Not sure the source that you got your information from but I would be careful if it was a dealer about having them do any work if they cannot look up parts.

"Originally Posted by wortex
GM no longer sells the rubber as it failed prematurely."

but I checked my source today and I can get 40 brackets with rubber bushings OEM.
They come together is the only way they sell them or with a "steering gear assembly"
25862212 part number for bracket and rubber bushing.
But why anyone would want "another" one is beyond me?
I got 10,000 or less miles out of the one on my 08 Alpha before I realized it trashed like on my 06, that I did not discover until the rack broke and I saw all the movement which put leverage on the more stationary mounted drives end with two bolts and two angles and fitted metal bushings with rubber isolation centers with sleeve.

Last edited by Hunner; 02-29-2012 at 07:11 PM.
Old 02-29-2012, 11:13 PM

I looked up the part #25862212 and I can see 89 "sets" in the local SPO (Service Parts Operations) warehouse.

Hmmmmmm.... wonder what dealer told him this???

Quick Reply: Rack and Pinion Movement