PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PowerStep Product Review

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2015, 05:45 PM
Default PowerStep Product Review

I have always liked the idea of electric steps so figured I would give the AMP Research PowerSteps a shot on my 2008 Hummer H3. I decided to buy and install them myself. Here is a run down of my experience and overall thoughts on the product.

Install:
When I opened the box I was delighted to find all the parts separated and marked in clear bags. The kit I ordered included the steps, brackets, wiring harness (with connectors) and lighting kit. AMP includes a small instruction booklet that is more than enough information to install the kit. The instruction booklet works for both H3 & H3T as there is a couple differences during install. After a few hours and a couple cold ones I had the PowerSteps installed and working. The lighting kit took another hour or so as you have to plumb those wires separately. Overall it is an easy install if you are somewhat mechanically inclined.

Product:
I am extremely satisfied with my PowerSteps. I love the way they look and overall functionality. The steps are very convenient as they are there when you need them and tucked away when you don't. I was worried the step would hang down and impair my off-roading capabilities but they don't. The steps actually tuck away above the frame rail and completely out of the way (even higher than the stock running boards). The only issue I experienced was the steps are a little noisy when they operate. It makes a slight thud when the step stops at the top or bottom (See video). I don't mind the sound and it actually reassures me the step is up before I drive. Otherwise the steps are very quiet and do not make wind noise or any noise for that matter while I drive. I would highly recommend them to anybody considering this upgrade.

Video of operation:

Old 08-27-2015, 08:24 AM
Super Moderator

Thank you for the write up. Cool vid.

I agree they are an excellent alternative to nerf bars, although they cost like 5 times as much. The power steps at least allow some wheeling while installed.

However, they are not even close to a substitute for Rock Rails for more serious wheeling. I have seen these power steps get mangled when the owner thought they were sort of like rock rails. The look on his face when what he paid for his now non-functioning power steps was not one of pleasure. Just thought I'd throw that out there. Rock rails cost half as much, and offer non-mangling (new term ) wheeling protection.

Old 08-27-2015, 04:44 PM

Very nice. I don't do hard core off-roading that would require rock rails, so the AMP steps would be a nice addition for me. I just can't quite justify the cost at this time. Thanks for the write up and the video.

Old 08-28-2015, 08:45 AM

Get some measurements on them!
What's the height of the step & what sized tires are you running? Or just top of the step to bottom of the door panel.

Old 02-23-2018, 12:39 AM
Default amp step issues

I had mine installed mine about a year ago. They look cool and worked perfect but looking at yours yours look closer to edge than mine i have a gap about 1-1.5 inch from were yours fold up.they dont fully touch top , one side i have to help up to fold from deployed position. Man it pisses me off one down one up tried to readjust no joy today both sides staying down calling amp in morning ind out what is up. Im felling jepped by the install company no help when whether clears up im going to try readjusting and cleaning up motor boxes damn it pisses me off. I dont know how you got yours to land in up closer install shop gave no instruction with a kit nothing just the bill thank u!