PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power steering pulley?!?

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2016, 09:02 AM
Default Power steering pulley?!?

Hey, new to the site. I have a 2008 hummer h3 base. Have the God forsaken steering wheel vibration. I have no check engine light. But I did take my belt off and noticed some play in the power steering pump pulley . and was wondering if and how to replace it without buying the whole pump? Or is the play normal ? It's not much but it does move?

Old 09-16-2016, 09:50 AM

Also, I've cleaned MAF and throttle body AND changed spark plugs (oem) a.c. delco. Still have bad vibration in steering wheel at idle. Motor mounts came in today . I'm going to put those in. If that doesn't fix it I'm set on that it's the play in my power steering pump pulley

Old 09-16-2016, 10:30 AM
Super Moderator

Welcome to HF. How long have you owned your H3? Miles?

Captain obvious would remind you that I5s are not inherently balanced, and at idle they all vibrate which is felt through the steering wheel. Now if you have been driving it for a while and that normal vibration has gotten worse, then something may need attention.

The pulleys are pressure slipped on the pump shaft. If you feel movement, it would be highly unlikely that it was the pulley itself. You probably are feeling movement in the pump shaft, which should be minimal, but you can make them move if you reef on the pulley?

The pulley has a set depth, it has to be placed on the pump shaft flush against the end of the shaft with an allowable tolerance of 0.010 inches. Look at yours, is that depth correct? If not, it moved and that is not good.

Anything is possible, so it could be that the pulley was bad from the start (out of balance/round/imperfect shaft bore.... ) ? Either way, you need both a pulley puller to remove it, and a pulley installer to put a new one back on.

Old 09-16-2016, 10:38 AM

I know about the I5's and how they're not inherently balanced and all . but when I'm at a red light,stop sign, etc it vibrates so bad you can see the turn signal vibrating and feel it in the brake pedal and centre console. Its definitely more severe than the legendary response of its a I5 and it's inherently balanced.

Old 09-16-2016, 10:39 AM
Super Moderator

Another thought. Start the truck and observe the power steering pump & pulley. CAREFULLY hold on to the pump, and a cool part of the motor (like the intake manifold) can you feel vibration in the pump that seams different from the engine? Is the pump making any rattle, clunks or shudder?

If the pump is doing any of the above, it will need replacement, and the pulley has to come off to do it.

Old 09-16-2016, 07:47 PM

It is NOT the ps pump!

To eliminate that equation, remove the drive belt and start it up, and let it idle.

Still shaking= YES

Proper fuel delivery is the problem.

Old 09-16-2016, 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by hummerz
It is NOT the ps pump!

To eliminate that equation, remove the drive belt and start it up, and let it idle.

Still shaking= YES

Proper fuel delivery is the problem.
Thank you!
Like I said I'm going to go ahead and install these motor mounts ,,,,then see. Next will be that pulley or coil packs. But I assumed if coil packs were bad it would throw a code.

Old 09-16-2016, 07:59 PM

Please don't throw parts at a simple solution. Just remove the belt and let it idle, put it in drive while holding on the brake and watch the rpm's. (not to long without the drive belt) I can give further advice on what to do when you respond from the above.

Old 09-17-2016, 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by hummerz
Please don't throw parts at a simple solution. Just remove the belt and let it idle, put it in drive while holding on the brake and watch the rpm's. (not to long without the drive belt) I can give further advice on what to do when you respond from the above.
What should my rpms do? Bc it doesn't stall or fluctuate. It stays at 600 rpms at idle just with that steering wheel vibration.

Old 09-18-2016, 09:35 AM

600rpm's is good,

1-Clean maf sensor with crc mass air flow sensor cleaner(let it thoroughly dry before reinstallation)
2-Pull and thoroughly clean the throttle body (crc throttle body & air intake
cleaner)

3-Add a bottle of techron to the tank along with a top tier fuel.

Chevron 65740 Techron Fuel System Cleaner - Review

Licensed Brands | Top Tier Gas