PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Plastic Shift Fork In T-Case

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2012, 11:11 PM
Default Plastic Shift Fork In T-Case

I have a 2006 h3 (83,000) that is in the dealer as I type this getting repaired. I noticed the vehicle binding on sharp turns. Did alot of research and discovered the very common transfer case shift mode fork that is plastic failing. I noticed a burning/melting plastic smell a few days before. Vehicle shift buttons on the dash show in AWD and not in hi or low lock. I called GM to ask for assistance on repair. They told me they will do nothing for me as my vechcle is out of warranty (5yr/50k) Driving in reverse 25-30 feet sometimes will kick h3 back in AWD and out of lock. Im very unpleased with GM's support on this NIGHTMARE of a problem. I calle a few dealers and told them my problem and was quoted anywhere from 400-1500 for repairs. I took it to a Chev dealer and they fixed it in 2days for 400. Best of luck to all of you driving a 2006-mid 2007's that have the plastic fork. They changed the fork to a alloy/metal fork in 2007. Im sooo unhappy with all the problems ive had (climate control,blower resistor,headrest dvd's,paint peeling on back door jamb,loose morror,ect) The 5cyl lacks major power!!! I Love the feel/look of the truck but DAMN!! Cant wait for the radiator tank to crack or the cylinder head to go out, also common problems. GM wont admit this is a common prob but they do have a TSB on it....

Old 03-09-2012, 06:36 AM

I kind of wish I could get mine to break so its fixed under warranty. Since I want it to, I doubt it ever will, at least under warranty.

Old 03-09-2012, 07:30 AM

$400 sounds like a good deal. I've heard estimates up to $1600. I had the blower go out too, but was able it fix it quickly and without expense because of a post on this forum.

Last edited by K0PIR; 03-09-2012 at 07:38 AM.
Old 03-09-2012, 10:25 AM
Super Moderator

I have had ZERO problems with my 07, wheel it more than most, ...... and I kinda like my plastic fork.

Old 03-09-2012, 10:32 AM

Only probs I had with mine, replaced the crossmember for the bushing and the front driveline because I tore the boot off road.

Old 03-09-2012, 01:06 PM

So what are the symptoms of a bad fork. I feel like my 4 low doesn't fully engage, even though the indicator light shows that it does. When in 4 low it seems that when i step on the gas the rpms go up but the wheels aren't moving along with the engine if that makes sense. I get a nice loud whining noise as well. It acts kind of like its in neutral but with some torque and movement of the wheels. I just remember the old jeep cherokee i used to wheel in seemed like when i dropped it in 4 lo the amount of torque it produced felt like i can idle up hills without even touching the gas pedal. i would assume our trucks should produce even more torque.
it also seems to transfer to 4 hi lock without a hitch but going back to awd the indicator light will just blink and i have to shut the truck off for it to reset to awd. Thanks for any input.

Old 03-09-2012, 05:47 PM

mthoodh3, there are several people who's fork is damaged that dont even realize it. there are several threads about this and how you need to jack up the truck to see if the wheels are trying to spini while in lock. And to answer your question about transfering into 4hi lock to AWD, the light flashes to tell you the transfer is in progress and rather than shutting off your vehicle, simply shift into neutral and when it stops flashing and switches to awd the transfer is complete. make sure the vehicle is stopped and like i said, you have to shift into neutral to allow the transfer to take place. turn your wheel max either to the left or right and try driving, if there is lag or jerking motion your vehicle is stuck in 4 lo lock. same thing in reverse.