PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

P0300 cylinder 2 misfire or not?

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2014, 12:26 AM
Default P0300 cylinder 2 misfire or not?

AHHHH *********LONG STORY SHORT... cylinder 2 misfire, what should I do?*************

So I changed the MAP sensor as per P0106 and yay CLEARED (it had a multiple cylinder misfire with it BUT I usually fix the first code and the misfire seems to be a hiccup that comes with and goes away because in the past this comes up a ton and the mechanics say it's nothing)...... now a few days later I get another check engine light that comes off and on when it feels like it. Checked it and it's a cylinder 2 misfire... didn't get the code because this happens: It gets a misfire check engine light and then goes away, doesn't come back. Weird... usually. This one is actually sticking around (in the past I had #1, #5, #3...I think 1 had it's coil changed but that was it... this is a #2)

SO...
160,000 miles... at 100,000 I did a tune up and had the spark plugs all changed.
Yes 1,5, 3 nothing was done except spark plugs changed on everything with iridium sparks and #1 coil change.

Do I need another tune up at 160,000 and should I just go ahead and replace all the spark plugs while I'm in there? And all the coils since they come in packs? I mean right now it's cheaper for me to buy one coil... but eh I was reading that they come cheaper in packs...

I AM getting my oil change tomorrow as I lost the sticker of when to get one and it hasn't popped up with "change oil" yet...but I figure I should. I reset the oil thing myself, I know most people don't do it or don't know how but I feel it has been a while...

Tune up I found:
Transmission flush and fill (F&F).
Front & rear differential F&F
Transfer case fluid F&F
Power steering fluid F&F
Brake fluid F&F

^^^^^^^^which I won't attempt myself as that might be disastrous. But I'm watching youtube video on spark plugs being changed... not sure about a coil though or if I should?

THAAAAAAAANKS I'm trying to not rely on mechanics as I'm a woman and I can easily get overcharged and screwed over.

Old 11-03-2014, 08:30 AM
Super Moderator

OK, I'm confused.

When a check engine light comes on and goes away, that does not mean that a code was not stored for scanning.

A P0300 is NOT a cylinder 2 misfire, it is a random misfire.

A cylinder 2 misfire would be a P0302. If you think it is related to #2, then swap coil packs... put what is now #1 on #2 and if the code remains a P0302 than the coil pack is not causing it. If the code changes to #1 after the swap, then get a new coil pack.

Do not bother changing motor oil until the GM OLMS says to do it.... that is why it is there.... it will tell you to change it between 6 and 9K miles depending upon your driving conditions.

Old 11-03-2014, 10:57 AM

Sorry about the confusion I wrote things all over the place a bit.

A couple weeks ago I had a P0300 multiple cylinder misfire and another code that was the MAP sensor. Any time there's a code on my car a misfire comes with it and clears up after I change the other code. For example changed the MAP and it cleared up. No check engine light.

A few days later I get a check engine light that comes and goes. I went to check it's no longer multiple cylinder misfire but the guy said second cylinder (didn't get that code though) that's why I just wrote P0300 because that was the first error code...it clears then a few days later its a specific cylinder.

Make more sense?

Old 11-27-2018, 12:02 PM
Default P0300

Intermittent misfire,not long enough to record a code,you can monitor with a good obd2 scanner what cylender is misfiring and it’s usually misfire at low idle and a slight drop of fuel mileage

Old 11-27-2018, 12:38 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Wyne Baclig Inong
Intermittent misfire,not long enough to record a code,you can monitor with a good obd2 scanner what cylender is misfiring and it’s usually misfire at low idle and a slight drop of fuel mileage
Welcome to HF.

Please do us all a favor and do not dig up any other OLD threads (like this FOUR YEAR OLD THREAD) and provide additional info/answers. Thank you.
READ: Old Threads/'Necro-Bumping'