Hummer H3 For the Hummer driver who wants the rugged look and off road capabilities of the Hummer, but in a smaller size and with a more fuel economy friendly engine.

The Oil Sending Unit fix. 3 hours out, 5 mins in

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2014, 05:44 PM
Default The Oil Sending Unit fix. 3 hours out, 5 mins in

My first post here but I don't want anyone else to go through what I did. My oil light was coming on intermittently. The warning bell would chime. If I pulled over and restarted it was fine. I suspected the Oil Sending Unit.

First take off the skid plates, the OSU is 1 inch above the oil filter with a green electrical connection. Pop it off with your hand and a flat blade screwdriver. Next doing the impossible was getting it out. Go to the auto parts store and buy a deep 27mm socket 1/2" drive. Come in from the top by the exhaust manifolds at about 10:00 o'clock. It helps to have and assistant under the car to guide the socket onto the OSU. Don't be afraid to push some wiring around. Click click it's out.

My OSU had failed so bad the electrical connections were soaked with oil by oil passing through the unit. click click snap back on you're done. I'm going to work on some of the mud build up while I have the skid plates off.

Old 07-27-2014, 11:44 PM

Thanks.
Chris

Old 12-13-2018, 10:40 AM

Have the same oil pressure problem. Since I'm too old and creeky to do it myself, took it to my local Chev. dealer and they replaced the sender. $339.00 later I drove out and got halfway home and it started again. Hope it's a bad new Delco bull**** switch and not the oil pump.2006 H3, 209566 miles.

Old 05-20-2019, 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by SteveSS
My first post here but I don't want anyone else to go through what I did. My oil light was coming on intermittently. The warning bell would chime. If I pulled over and restarted it was fine. I suspected the Oil Sending Unit.

First take off the skid plates, the OSU is 1 inch above the oil filter with a green electrical connection. Pop it off with your hand and a flat blade screwdriver. Next doing the impossible was getting it out. Go to the auto parts store and buy a deep 27mm socket 1/2" drive. Come in from the top by the exhaust manifolds at about 10:00 o'clock. It helps to have and assistant under the car to guide the socket onto the OSU. Don't be afraid to push some wiring around. Click click it's out.

My OSU had failed so bad the electrical connections were soaked with oil by oil passing through the unit. click click snap back on you're done. I'm going to work on some of the mud build up while I have the skid plates off.
Did it take 3 hours to do this job.

Old 05-20-2019, 12:52 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Kevin Lindsay
Let's see how long it will take for him to respond from almost FIVE YEARS AGO!!!!!! LOOK before you dig up old as dirt threads to ask a question.

READ: Old Threads/'Necro-Bumping'

Old 05-20-2019, 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by Kevin Lindsay
It only takes 5 minutes. What did you miss?

Old 12-04-2022, 12:04 AM
Default 07 H2 Hummer 6L Vortec Oil sending unit problems

I'm trying to replace the oil sending unit (OSU) on a 2007 H2 Hummer 6.0 L vortec engine. From the photos shown in the first post of this thread I'm pretty sure I'm in the right place. Although this is an old thread hopefully I'll have some luck. I have the new OSU and special deep socket for removal. My problem is I'm a big guy and I can't even get my hand back there to remove the electrical connector off of the sensor to even attempt to replace it. Keep in mind on the H2 Hummer the hood lift straight up and stays at a 90° angle when open so you can only work from the sides of the vehicle / engine bay. I've attempted to get back in there with a flashlight but there is the fuel rail in the way, evap lines, electrical wires etc. So Any suggestions from an experience mechanic that has done this before on my particular vehicle? Any input, photos, suggestions would be appreciated. This is truly a nightmare to get done. I need some guidance Thanks in advance 👍🇺🇸💪

Old 12-05-2022, 10:55 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Tony805
I'm trying to replace the oil sending unit (OSU) on a 2007 H2 Hummer 6.0 L vortec engine. From the photos shown in the first post of this thread I'm pretty sure I'm in the right place. Although this is an old thread hopefully I'll have some luck. I have the new OSU and special deep socket for removal. My problem is I'm a big guy and I can't even get my hand back there to remove the electrical connector off of the sensor to even attempt to replace it. Keep in mind on the H2 Hummer the hood lift straight up and stays at a 90° angle when open so you can only work from the sides of the vehicle / engine bay. I've attempted to get back in there with a flashlight but there is the fuel rail in the way, evap lines, electrical wires etc. So Any suggestions from an experience mechanic that has done this before on my particular vehicle? Any input, photos, suggestions would be appreciated. This is truly a nightmare to get done. I need some guidance Thanks in advance 👍🇺🇸💪
You dug up a THREE YEAR OLD H3 section post to tack on an H2 Tech question???????????? READ: Old Threads/'Necro-Bumping'