Hummer H3 For the Hummer driver who wants the rugged look and off road capabilities of the Hummer, but in a smaller size and with a more fuel economy friendly engine.

The oil light (word) and the oil can blink on the dash with loud dinging noise in cab

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2016, 10:14 PM
Default The oil light (word) and the oil can blink on the dash with loud dinging noise in cab

Hi everyone!

As you all have probably guessed.....I have been out Humming around town. Well, my oil light and the oil can come on along with a loud dinging, ringing noise. Do I need a new oil pump or an engine? P.S.: I checked the oil dipstick and discovered it was overfilled. I took Ethan back to Pep Boys and they performed another oil change. Before I discovered the overfilled oil, I had already driven 661 miles. Could the overfill of oil have damaged Ethan's engine? Thanks for any help the crew can give.

Ethan's Driver

Old 07-20-2016, 07:34 AM
rsc

I doubt that the overfilled oil hurt anything. (depending on how much it was over, a pint over or a gallon over is a big difference, and how you were driving also factors in) Anyway, before rebuilding the engine over a dash warning light you should try a new oil pressure sender unit and check the wiring for pinched areas.

Old 07-20-2016, 08:22 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Ethanhunt
Hi everyone!

As you all have probably guessed.....I have been out Humming around town. Well, my oil light and the oil can come on along with a loud dinging, ringing noise. Do I need a new oil pump or an engine? P.S.: I checked the oil dipstick and discovered it was overfilled. I took Ethan back to Pep Boys and they performed another oil change. Before I discovered the overfilled oil, I had already driven 661 miles. Could the overfill of oil have damaged Ethan's engine? Thanks for any help the crew can give.

Ethan's Driver
Drive it with the now correct oil level and see what happens, that will tell you if you have a problem to address. Keep a close eye on the temp and dash for any other indications of a problem.

Overfills can cause excessive oil pressure which could strain the oil pump, and blow a seal and/or cause a leak, not typically create some catastrophic failure.

Old 07-20-2016, 08:50 AM

Hi Doc Olds:-),
Thank you very much for responding. I will have the areas that you mentioned checked out.

Ethan's Driver

Old 07-20-2016, 08:55 AM

Hi rsc:-),
Thank you very much for responding. I will troubleshoot your suggestions.

Ethan's Driver

Old 07-20-2016, 09:07 AM

Where would I search for the pinched wires? Would they be located around or near the oil pressure sender unit? Thank you!

Ethan's Driver

Old 07-20-2016, 09:41 AM

I forgot to add that the temp and dash indicators are showing stable readings. If a seal is blown or the overfill caused a leak would I see oil underneath my H3 or splattered on the engine anywhere? Presently, I don't see any of the above mentioned. Thank you!

Ethan's Driver

Old 07-20-2016, 10:09 AM
Super Moderator

I forgot to add that the temp and dash indicators are showing stable readings. If a seal is blown or the overfill caused a leak would I see oil underneath my H3 or splattered on the engine anywhere? Presently, I don't see any of the above mentioned. Thank you!

Ethan's Driver
Yes, you would see oil under the vehicle and/or on the ground where parked.

Old 07-21-2016, 06:10 AM
rsc

Where would I search for the pinched wires? Would they be located around or near the oil pressure sender unit? Thank you!

Ethan's Driver
That's a hard question to answer. Optimally, you should check the entire length of wiring that sends the signal to and from the sender to the BCM. However, just find the sensor and follow the wire as far as you can see. If it's not jumping out at you then it is probably ok, but then again you might have a break in the wire further up in the wiring loom. But, look at the easy stuff first.

Old 07-21-2016, 04:39 PM

Thank you for responding. Will do. Since, I troubleshooted Doc Olds item list and everything passed (YIPPIE); on to the next area! I have already ordered the oil pressure sending unit (OEM) on Ebay and I am going to change the oil filter and put a heavier weight oil in. Ethan has 179,000 miles on him. Any suggestions for a quality oil filter and heavier weight oil? Is a K&N or Mobil oil filter good? Oh yeah, what does BCM mean? Thanks for all the help and have a great upcoming weekend:-)! Trying to do this stuff myself. The gentleman that repaired Ethan was a GM mechanic for 35 years. I would assist him with my repairs but he is 80 years old now and doesn't know electrical stuff that well and he is way less mobile now. So, I really need to find another trustworthy mechanic in Georgia. Thanks again!

Last edited by Ethanhunt; 07-21-2016 at 04:43 PM. Reason: 8/8

Quick Reply: The oil light (word) and the oil can blink on the dash with loud dinging noise in cab