PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Oil Drain Valve

Old 03-19-2015, 07:01 PM
Default Oil Drain Valve

I just wanted to post this, in case someone here wasn't aware of drain valves available to make oil changes far less messy & faster.
The one in the picture is the Fumoto F-107N (N = nipple). The nipple lets you securely connect a hose to the valve, stopping oil from getting all over your hands & on the ground since you can aim where the oil goes, now.
The other major bonus is that you never need to remove the skid plate.

This valve will fit the all engines of the H3 (3.5L/3.7L/5.3L).
I can also confirm it fits the 2008-09 H2 6.2L. I can't seem to find any info on the 6.0L.

I've put these on 4 different vehicles now & I haven't had a leak yet. Hopefully, it'll stay that way.

Name:  RMdTY2T.jpg
Views: 418
Size:  2.17 MB

I hope this can help anyone who didn't know these things existed. While I can change oil without spilling, I don't see why I'd bother. These valves are only about $27.

Old 03-19-2015, 07:08 PM

That's nifty, I added it to my Wish list on Amazon. Two thumbs up

Old 03-19-2015, 07:22 PM
Banned

Got 4 of these for my vehicles. Hummer h2 needed an adapter though. yes a great add on.

Old 03-19-2015, 10:53 PM

have one on my Optima now for 3 years and still working great. looks like I need one for the Hummer

Old 03-19-2015, 11:00 PM

Originally Posted by madmike
Got 4 of these for my vehicles. Hummer h2 needed an adapter though. yes a great add on.
Mind posting the number for the add-on?

Old 03-20-2015, 05:47 AM

I put one on my truck last spring. Makes oil changes super easy.
I put the drain tube right into an empty 5 quart bottle for recycling.

Old 03-20-2015, 06:07 AM

We have them on 3 rigs. Takes a little more time to drain but that just gives you time to checkout everything under the hood and under the rig.

Old 03-20-2015, 09:04 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Synthetickiller
I just wanted to post this, in case someone here wasn't aware of drain valves available to make oil changes far less messy & faster.
The one in the picture is the Fumoto F-107N (N = nipple). The nipple lets you securely connect a hose to the valve, stopping oil from getting all over your hands & on the ground since you can aim where the oil goes, now.
The other major bonus is that you never need to remove the skid plate.

This valve will fit the all engines of the H3 (3.5L/3.7L/5.3L).
I can also confirm it fits the 2008-09 H2 6.2L. I can't seem to find any info on the 6.0L.

I've put these on 4 different vehicles now & I haven't had a leak yet. Hopefully, it'll stay that way.

I hope this can help anyone who didn't know these things existed. While I can change oil without spilling, I don't see why I'd bother. These valves are only about $27.
Thanks for the pic of the Alpha. With the I5, if you plan on changing the Filter (which everybody does when they change the oil), then the front skid plate is gonna have to come off. Name:  86.gif
Views: 600
Size:  2.8 KB

Old 03-20-2015, 02:06 PM

This seems like a great mod, but I've never had any problems with the drain plug making a mess. My issue is with the oil filter... any recommendations on how to make it far less messy?

Old 03-20-2015, 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by Doc Olds
Thanks for the pic of the Alpha. With the I5, if you plan on changing the Filter (which everybody does when they change the oil), then the front skid plate is gonna have to come off.
Whoops! I knew I forgot to mention something.

Yes, it's an alpha. Love my V8!

Originally Posted by Humvee21
This seems like a great mod, but I've never had any problems with the drain plug making a mess. My issue is with the oil filter... any recommendations on how to make it far less messy?
Placing an appropriately sized aluminium cooking pan below the filter helps a ton.

When I did the change on the alpha, I did the following steps.
1. Loosen the filter w/ an appropriate tool just enough that it moves.
2. Ever so slightly, turn the filter until you see oil just start to drip out.
3. Position your catch can to where it will catch the small drip.
4. Continue to loosen the filter, allowing only a little more oil to come out at a time. This way, you can move the catch can into the appropriate position, or tighten the filter to stop the flow of oil.
5. Continue to loosen & catch oil until basically no more comes out.
6. Once all the oil falls, loosen the filter till it is just about to fall.
7. Make sure your catch can is centered & quickly remove the filter.

I didn't spill a drop this time following that method. It's not difficult, just tedious. The H2 is more difficult as I have exhaust pipes & all sorts of things in the way. I used a paper towel around the filter to redirect flow, almost acting like a wick & a funnel. You could use that method too.

The oil pan I used was the FloTool - Drain. I purchased it at walmart as they always have the lowest price for synthetic oil (at least around here, otherwise, I'd never step foot in there!). Oriely's sells the pan as well.

I hope that helps.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Oil Drain Valve