PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Not Starting Intermittently - Not Cranking

Old 08-22-2012, 01:41 PM
Default Not Starting Intermittently - Not Cranking

Hello all. I searched this forum first about my issue but everything I found the situation was a little different from mine.

Over the past year or maybe two, I have had a situation where I turn the key on and nothing happens. Does not try to crank, just nothing happens at all. This has happened several times over the last year or two, but I had thought that perhaps it was just me and I did not turn the key far enough, as it always started on the 2nd try.

However, today, I went to start it and it took about five times before it started. Again, it does not try to crank, you hear nothing. The battery is not dead or anything.

The other threads I've read in here talked about cranking and cranking but not starting, that is not my issue. I've also read about people's keys getting stuck, but that was not my issue either (not that I know of but I did not try to remove my key.

So, does this sound familiar to anyone else? 2006 H3.

Thanks.

Old 08-22-2012, 01:47 PM

Check your battery terminals to see if they are tight and in good shape. The OEM terminals are mildly crappy at best.
Also check your cables for any internal corrosion. When the terminals don't have good contact, over time it can lead to corrosion of the cables as well and you can end up with intermittent starting.

Old 08-22-2012, 02:43 PM
Default batt/conn check

A quick check of wiring is turn on lights and radio. I forced headlights on in high beam pointed at a wall. when i turn key on,radio is on,then when turn to crank,radio goes off but lights just dim as the engine cranks. This proves the cables and connectors are ok.
If lights stay on and you dont crank, its the starter control system.