Hummer H3 For the Hummer driver who wants the rugged look and off road capabilities of the Hummer, but in a smaller size and with a more fuel economy friendly engine.

Passenger side wet, hot, and smells fishy.... literally

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2018, 07:42 PM
Default Passenger side wet, hot, and smells fishy.... literally

Hello,

I am a brand new hummer owner! YES!
A week ago I sold my tiny Nissan Juke and bought a 08 Hummer H3. I love the hummer, I have dreamed of owning one since I was a kid.
Unfortunately, I bought it from a very cheap used dealership (Starcars in MD, don't go there!) and it came with a variety of issues:
1) Two open recalls, one which (Adhesive for the hood part) could not be done because the adhesive was not available at the time I tried
2) I was told it had a hitch.. not hitch Going to need to get that done..
3) The spare tire was put on it when I bought it, for some reason, giving me the TPM error.
4) and the real reason I am here:

Recently I have noticed that the passenger side floor becomes wet, hot, and oily after long drives.
I have read about this being issues with leaks, power steering, ya de ya de ya. I would like some help settling the problem, anyone know?
does anyone have a schematic or integration control diagram for this model? I would like to be able to see what is under that and what could be leaking, and try to match that up with the smells/sights of the liquid that pools up.

I am about to take this on a 10 hour drive from MD to IN when I go back to school in TWO WEEKs. I would like to get it done, as I feel that long trip will be the most heat/stress that area has seen so far so who knows that madness could happen. I plan to take this to a shop asap, but I am posting here for advise.

Old 07-24-2018, 08:44 AM
Super Moderator

Welcome to HF.

Do you have a sunroof? If so, search fix clogged sunroof drains. Google it as well.

1) Any adhesive that sticks to plastic and metal will work.
2) "Told it had a hitch?" You can see whether it does, and if it was not a tow
package from the factory, your rear bumper is different than a hitch equipped H3.
3) An H3 can only read 4 tires, and in 2008, they stopped using TPMS in spares. Don't know what TPM error you have since you did not define it, but make sure the monitored tires are all at 38PSI cold.
4) Sunroof? When the drains clog, water leaks down the A Pillar onto the passenger side floor, which can short the BCM it if gets wet. If you have a sunroof, do the drain fix ASAP.

Old 07-24-2018, 11:44 PM

Originally Posted by Tink_vee
Hello,

I am a brand new hummer owner! YES!
A week ago I sold my tiny Nissan Juke and bought a 08 Hummer H3. I love the hummer, I have dreamed of owning one since I was a kid.
Unfortunately, I bought it from a very cheap used dealership (Starcars in MD, don't go there!) and it came with a variety of issues:
1) Two open recalls, one which (Adhesive for the hood part) could not be done because the adhesive was not available at the time I tried
2) I was told it had a hitch.. not hitch Going to need to get that done..
3) The spare tire was put on it when I bought it, for some reason, giving me the TPM error.
4) and the real reason I am here:

Recently I have noticed that the passenger side floor becomes wet, hot, and oily after long drives.
I have read about this being issues with leaks, power steering, ya de ya de ya. I would like some help settling the problem, anyone know?
does anyone have a schematic or integration control diagram for this model? I would like to be able to see what is under that and what could be leaking, and try to match that up with the smells/sights of the liquid that pools up.

I am about to take this on a 10 hour drive from MD to IN when I go back to school in TWO WEEKs. I would like to get it done, as I feel that long trip will be the most heat/stress that area has seen so far so who knows that madness could happen. I plan to take this to a shop asap, but I am posting here for advise.

I have doubts as to wet, hot and oily being a direct correlation to power steering pump as the pump is located under the car rearward section of the front cross member. It's held up with a clamp and some hardware and is directly in contact with the low intermediate, med low intermediate and steering column assembly. Yeah, there are other bits and doodads to but that's about it.
Your heater core is located close to the passenger side area and also the sunroof drains and antenna base as well as the a/c and pillar covering.
The oil part is what gets me. As far as the hitch you can purchase new bolt on hitches from numerous places on the web as well as do the wiring for the harness.
Make sure all of your tpm sensors are in the tires on the ground bolted to the vehicle. We found out on the Miss' h3 that the spare tire did not have the sensor installed and we swapped it in rotation and thru a code right away.

Old 10-02-2019, 10:21 AM

Design Engineering 050501 21" x 24" Floor & Tunnel Shield II - Adhesive Heat and Sound Insulation, buy this, it worked great! Stops the heat and moisture, just pull up your carpet and take out the padding, mine was wet from my leaky sunroof also (had those cleared out) I ordered new padding and put the heat shield down first, this stuff is great, very sticky fyi

Old 10-02-2019, 10:23 AM

I failed to mention that the catalytic converter is right under the passenger side floor board and gets really hot, anyway this heat shield worked great good luck!

Old 10-02-2019, 12:02 PM

the only thing that hits all your marks "wet, hot, oily, and fishy" is coolant. check your heater core and hoses. have them pressure test your cooling system and see if it holds pressure.

Old 10-02-2019, 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by bronxteck
the only thing that hits all your marks "wet, hot, oily, and fishy" is coolant. check your heater core and hoses. have them pressure test your cooling system and see if it holds pressure.
thanks, I will....I was replying to the Happy Hummer guy, I guess I didn't pay attention the oily and fishy part but I had my mechanic check out the vehicle and he said everything is fine The exhaust is right under the passenger seat, I noticed how hot the floor got after a 2 hour drive as I was in the passenger side and finally figured out that it was the exhaust. Does yours not do that?

Old 10-02-2019, 12:23 PM

if it is too hot for comfort you are either missing a heat shield on the under side, or your catalytic converter is loaded or damaged.

Old 10-02-2019, 12:48 PM

it was pretty hot, but there was water on the floor board that never dried out form having clogged drain tubes also, so I'm not sure if that part of the exhaust is supposed to be that hot, I will have to research

Old 10-02-2019, 01:30 PM
Super Moderator

You should be able to hold your hand against the interior floor covering/carpet indefinitely without having move it. If your hand starts getting too hot after 15-20 seconds, you have an issue like bronteck suggests.

Quick Reply: Passenger side wet, hot, and smells fishy.... literally