PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Newbie Needs Advice

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2015, 05:46 PM
Default Newbie Needs Advice

New member, excited and glad to be with you. I've located an '07 H3 with low miles but very few service records or receipts. I'm going to have a GM dealer do a used car inspection but my experience is they breeze thru those looking only for obvious things like the engine falling out. With your experiences what should I specifically direct the dealership to inspect? Thanks very much for the help.

Old 05-13-2015, 10:17 AM
Super Moderator

If you have doubts about the place of inspection take it elsewhere. Have the dealership run the VIN to see what work was done under warranty.

Old 05-13-2015, 10:58 AM
Super Moderator

A dealership is the last place I would go for any inspection or work. I would ask them to run the Vin# history, or do a Car Fax.

Old 05-13-2015, 10:19 PM

I've bought both an H2 & H3 online w/o looking at either in person.
At the time, it was the only option as nothing was within driving distance & I didn't have the time to drive 8+ hours away.

I used Car Fax to the best of my ability, but realized that carfax is pretty flawed. I traded a Challenger for my current H3. The Chrysler had major suspension & transmission issues. It never through codes, but you could tell by driving it something was seriously wrong. I couldn't get Chrysler to honor the warranty, so that's why I got rid of it. Out of State was the best option.

That said, there's multiple ways of looking at your situation.

1. Get someone trust worthy to inspect it.
2. Assume there is going to be something missed during the inspection.
3. Be prepared to have the vehicle worked on in the future.

Driving it might not show any issues as dealerships & used car lots are notorious for jury-rigging cars to make the sale. I assumed this going in. I've had the same advice of "hire someone to inspect the vehicle for you," but if that's the same as hiring someone to inspect a house you're buying, save your money unless you totally know nothing about vehicles. At least that's my experience in multiple States.

The advice by 3hummers & Doc Olds is entirely correct as well. Check the VIN. This is important. I feel there's more of a legal obligation to provide correct info associated w/ a VIN vs what carfax provides. My reasoning for this is the Challenger that was purchased by the dealership in the trade was advertised w/ a carfax. I knew for a fact, being the only owner, that the carfax did not even come close to the real story & left off 3 of the 4 dealership service appointments.

Old 05-25-2015, 08:31 PM

I bought my Porsche Boxster S online through a dealership in Ohio. Sight unseen had it delivered by truck. I had the sales guy post a detailed video on YouTube. Also requested he sent me all maintenance papers before closing the deal. Good luck!

Old 05-29-2015, 07:07 AM

Originally Posted by Doc Olds
A dealership is the last place I would go for any inspection or work. I would ask them to run the Vin# history, or do a Car Fax.
Not all dealers are the same. Mine has been good to me and found things that I was unaware of and even fixed certain things well out of warranty.
As general rule dealers do have a skeptical reputation, well earned I'm sure
If Wacky has a mechanic he already trust, then that should be his first choice.

Old 05-30-2015, 09:19 AM

Guys he posted and never came back
Last Activity: 05-12-2015 06:46 PM

Old 05-31-2015, 01:58 AM

Originally Posted by TAINTER
Maybe he got busy like family or business obligations?

Old 05-31-2015, 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by TAINTER
Maybe he's still at the dealer. lol

Old 06-01-2015, 08:12 AM

Originally Posted by H3Ray
Maybe he got busy like family or business obligations?
HERPES is back. I hope they find a cure.

Quick Reply: Newbie Needs Advice