PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

New Hummer, Question about Alarm.

Old 06-29-2007, 03:07 PM
Default New Hummer, Question about Alarm.

Hey guys. Just bought my first ever new car and new h3 2007 in white. It's unbelievable. I have the luxury/navigation/chromeappearance packages as well. I had a question about the alarm. Is it any good? I tested it and it sounded pretty weak. What do you guys suggest for a replacement? Will post pictures of my new truck very soon. Thanks very much in advance.

Also is there any advice you should give me about the hummer, some do's and don'ts? And is there anything I should know beforehand? Thank you so much again.

Old 06-29-2007, 03:31 PM
Default RE: New Hummer, Question about Alarm.

Factory alarm is relatively worthless...but many would say most car alarms are. Most car thieves are pros these days, so alarm or not, they're going to take it. Some folks on here may have systems they like....

Old 06-29-2007, 03:34 PM

That is the only thing I don't like about the Hummer is the weak horn... We added the Lo-Jack system to ours. No problems with factory but didn't want to take any chances.

Old 06-29-2007, 04:49 PM

congrats on the new ride! you're only going to grow to love it more. can't wait to see the pics!

something to know beforehand...your new ride may develop a rattle/thumping that you feel/hear in the gas and brake pedals. dont be alarmed. its only your stearing shaft. ha! there's an entire thread about that. just thought i'd give you the heads up seeing as its summer...it'll all make sense eventually...

Old 06-29-2007, 06:01 PM

I don't think my horn is going to deter most smash and grab thieves. They work fast and get what they want. As for theft of the vehicle, again I doubt that the horn is going to stop them. I didn't go for Lo-Jack as I'm counting on OnStar to help find and disable the vehicle.

When I first got my H3 I took it info service. The courtesy driver was taking me to work and telling me the story of one time that he had to pick up an H3 from a customer and drive it to the dealer. The customer was about 20 miles from the dealership. When the driver picked it up, the customer warned him that the alarm would sound, and the lights would flash, for the entire time he drove it. Indeed, once he started the car the horn started blaring and it blared for the whole trip to the dealer. In fact, he even had to stop for gas and went blaring in and out of the station. Not once did a cop pull him over or did a passerby question his driving of the H3 with the alarm going off.

I don't have too much faith in alarms. I'm trusting that the anti-theft (of the vehicle, not just the contents) and recovery elements of GM's security system do the work that I need.

Old 06-29-2007, 07:12 PM

alrock,
Exactly the way I feel about alarms......Good story BTW

Old 06-29-2007, 10:01 PM

ORIGINAL: alrock

I didn't go for Lo-Jack as I'm counting on OnStar to help find and disable the vehicle.
Unless the thiefpops off the little OnStar antenna...And OnStar needs an official police report to track the vehicle (which can take a while). I don't use Lo-Jack or OnStar - but I don't own my Hummer, either...

Old 06-29-2007, 11:44 PM

I understand alarms can not prevent ALL CROOKS from stealing your possessions, or vehicle, but why make it easy for the dirt bags, that's why soon after I purchased my rig I had a top of the line alarm system installed. [/align][/align]I decided on a Clifford system with a visual pager with a one mile link range. I alsohad the shop add: remote starter, glass break detector, wheel protection (electronic motion/level), and an anti-car jack module. And last week I had the dealership install chrome door handles, and buckets not only for looks but also forsecurity. Spending money on a nice vehicle, and zero on security won't do it for me.[/align]

Old 06-30-2007, 02:30 AM

ORIGINAL: BassGear

I understand alarms can not prevent ALL CROOKS from stealing your possessions, or vehicle, but why make it easy for the dirt bags, that's why soon after I purchased my rig I had a top of the line alarm system installed. [/align][/align]I decided on a Clifford system with a visual pager with a one mile link range. I alsohad the shop add: remote starter, glass break detector, wheel protection (electronic motion/level), and an anti-car jack module. And last week I had the dealership install chrome door handles, and buckets not only for looks but also forsecurity. Spending money on a nice vehicle, and zero on security won't do it for me.[/align]
I AGREE!!! The factory alarms on ANY VEHICLES SUCK!!! That's why there are so many aftermarket ones!

Yo Nick!!! Congrats on the Rig!!!

You're in NY, so you should look into and Alarm/Car Starter deal!!

I have a Compustar Pro P2W9000FMR!!! It's AWESOME and COOL!!

[/align]

Up to 3000* feet of Range
This new CompuStar Pro 2W9000FMR remote has a built in clock, in-vehicle temperature readout, and battery voltage sensing. This system operates at a higher frequency to allow for greater range and battery life. Firstech engineers were the first to perfect 900MHz FM for vehicle security applications and we've taken this technology to the next level with the 2W9000FMR Pro.

*Range is quoted for U.S. models only. International models will differ in range.

Includes 1 x Two-Way and 1 x One-Way remote

View the manual for the P2W900FMR
View the manual for the P1W900FMR
[/align]

Pro Remote Features
- Two-way paging remote
- New multi-color LCD (liquid crystal display)
- CompuGlow backlight
- Vibration and audible notification
- Clock display with alarm
- Internal vehicle temperature display
- Parking Meter timer
- Button lock
- Timer Start Mode
- Cold and hot starting with temperature
- Run-time indicator (extendable with remote)
- Turbo Timer (extendable with remote)
- Secure Auxiliary Mode
- Shock sensor on/off through remote
- Passive mode on/off through remote
- Valet mode on/off through remote
- Uses standard AAA 1.5 volt battery

[/align]

Pro Starter Features | P2W9000FM-S
Pro Alarm/Start Features | P2W9000FM-AS

[/align]

- Includes anti-grind and optional starter-kill relay
-
Factory Style Alarm, monitors doors and trunk
- Cold and hot starting with temperature
- Time start set on remote by user
- Optional external Siren (six-tone)
- Optional super bright blue LED
- Driver's priority unlock
- Ignition controlled door locks
- Secure valet switch
- 2-auxillary outputs, expandable to 7 with Channel Expander
- 2-programmable inputs
- Selectable trunk release output
- Programmable horn honk output
- Horn trigger output
- Diesel timer built-in
- Manual transmission compatible
[/align]

[font=arial]- Includes anti-grind and starter-kill

Old 06-30-2007, 10:50 AM

Good points, BassGear. I especially like the remote starter option. I'm fortunate enough to have covered parking at home and at work, but when it's 110 here in the desert it's awfully hot in the car. I'd like to cool it down a bit. As you pointed out, peace of mind is priceless. Now you have me thinking . . .[&:]

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New Hummer, Question about Alarm.