PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Monsoon System Upgrade

Old 05-11-2011, 04:03 PM
Default Monsoon System Upgrade

I came across a really good deal on a Monsoon amp and sub w/enclosure. I currently have the stock system but would love to add the sub into the mix. A few questions:
  • Does the monsoon amp drive the speakers also or just the sub?
  • If it drives the speakers is it possible (w/relative ease) to hook up my current stock speakers to the amp and my stock radio?
  • If it doesn't drive the speaker same question as above.
Also, it doesn't come w/a harness so am I going to have a major problem trying to find a harness that goes from the amp to the radio or hooking it up? I'm new to all this and am learning.

- Jason

Old 05-11-2011, 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by jvorpahl
  • Does the monsoon amp drive the speakers also or just the sub?
The amp is 200W RMS, 100W to the sub, and 25W to each door.

• If it drives the speakers is it possible (w/relative ease) to hook up my current stock speakers to the amp and my stock radio?
Couldn't tell you for certain, I know the wiring harnesses are different for the base and monsoon system. What I can tell you for certain is no, it would not be with relative ease.

Also, it doesn't come w/a harness so am I going to have a major problem trying to find a harness that goes from the amp to the radio or hooking it up?
It would most likely be almost impossible to find the factory harness unless you wanted to order OEM direct, and the harness for the stereo runs in one big electrical harness for basically all the other systems in the truck. I wouldn't even want to get into that.

You would be much happier and less frustrated finding a nice 5 channel amp, and getting your own sub and enclosure. For more specifics on replacing your door speakers look for my posts in the interior/exterior mods forum.

Old 05-11-2011, 05:04 PM
Banned

if u look at the 2 wiring schems its not hard to understand whats needed. running the xtra wires for monsoon can be a job, not impossible.
u can buy a complete h3 manual,download for $15 apx.
if you do the monsoon right u will love it

Old 05-11-2011, 07:29 PM

I found a complete wiring harness and I also purchased a 6 disc changer (which I believe comes w/the monsoon) for $10 on eBay. All that is wrong is the eject button is stuck and this happened after it was removed so hopefully I can get it working. I think I am going to try to go for it and see what happens. If I can't figure it out I guess I'll have to sell the sub, amp, and harness and figure out something else. I'm sure I'll have a million and one questions on this so look forward to hearing from me

- Jason

Old 05-12-2011, 10:37 AM

You surely will love it if you get it to work. I'm in my 50s and I know now why kids like all that bass.

Old 05-13-2011, 12:44 PM

I didn't want to start a new thread so I'll ask the question in this one. Can I reprogram my new 6 disc changer to my VIN using a Tech-2 tool or do I have to take it to the dealer? I have a DashHawk that I can use. Any help would be appreciated.

- Jaosn

Old 05-13-2011, 02:27 PM

I'm not sure, that may be a question for the dealer if they would tell you how its done. I've never heard of anyone doing it without a dealer. To be honest the changer may not need it, I would try it first and see. I know the NAV units require it however unfortunately.

Old 05-13-2011, 03:33 PM
Banned

program,probly the dealer,in case its stolen.

wire harness,a stock,great,monsoon has a woofer,4 door speakers and 2 tweeters,all individualy wired to the amp in back.that means 6 pairs of polarity coded wires from the rear amp to the 4 doors and 2 pillar tweeters
is that the harness of which u speak??

its a lot of wires to put in the proper places.

Old 05-13-2011, 05:10 PM

It doesn't look as easy as just going out and buying an amp and upgrading the speakers...but this might help. And swapping digital receivers between vehicles will activate the digital radio Theftlock® and "XM Theftlock®" will display. The top is for the Base, bottom Premium.

Monsoon System Upgrade-base.jpg

Monsoon System Upgrade-premium.jpg

Old 05-13-2011, 05:55 PM
Banned

anyone know why the monsoon shows 2 woofers?
actual pic of amp?,connectors?
oh btw note the cheap radio,tweeters tied directly in parallel with door spk!

Last edited by drtom; 05-13-2011 at 06:00 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Monsoon System Upgrade