PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Maintanance Work

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2011, 01:12 PM
Default Maintanance Work

Guys, I have had my H3 since November 2005, only have about 30K miles on it but really have done nothing on the truck but change oil and air filter, also front brakes once which was only suggestion by the dealer this last year. Recently it seems the serpentine belt started to squeek a bit in wet weather which made decide I should probably perform some kind of service on my truck. Can you guys suggest what should be done at this time? I was thinking of the belt, maybe spurk plugs and cables, any other items I should look into changing ? I am going to try do it by myself as much as possible but realize a lot of this stuff can not be done alone, or not by me anyhow

Old 02-16-2011, 02:34 PM

my belts started sqeeking and it was actually the belt pulley that keep the belts tight.... might check and make sure thats all it is before you replace all the belts.

Old 02-16-2011, 02:38 PM

I have several company cars and pickups. (All GM) We usually put between 150,000 and 200,000 miles on them before replacing them.

We use Mobil 1 in the engines, and change oil every 7500 to 8,000 miles.
We rotate the tires at oil change.

At 50,000 miles we change all fluids, and service the transmissions.

At 100,000 miles we change plugs, wires, ect, fluids, and belts. Then we start over.

Old 02-16-2011, 03:49 PM
Super Moderator

At 30K there is no suggested service. Follow the owner's manual, not what some doofus at the steelership tells you in their sales pitch. Change the oil when the DIC message tells you to.

BTW, your H3 doesn't have any spark plug cables to change.

Old 02-16-2011, 08:37 PM

follow doc olds advice the manual is helpful and definitely works

Old 02-16-2011, 09:49 PM

Prob not the belt, check the serpentine belt tensioner. 9 time out of 10 that si what is making noise. I have had them replaced on every H3 we have had at about 25-30k. At 30k your plugs are just fine. Run 2 tanks of TECHTRON (not some other cheapO crap) to clean out the fuel system and deposits on your valves. You won't believe the difference 2 bottles of TECHTRON (about $12ea) will do for your HUMMER.

Brakes at 30K! Someone got taken by their stealership! Even if you are very hard on your brakes you should get 45-50k on the OEM pads.

I go by the manual for fluid changes. But oil I do on a regualr basis every 5k if it needs it or not.

Other fluids (trans, Ft/Rr diff/ T-case) EXCEPTION: if you wheel in water/mud a lot. Then you will want to check it for a milky white color (water contamination) and change it ASAP if you find it!

Last edited by TAINTER; 02-17-2011 at 12:54 AM.
Old 02-16-2011, 11:02 PM
Banned
Default serpentine belt tensioner.

autozone will say,hummer?? just tell them chevy colorado 3.7 huh. they have it

Old 02-17-2011, 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by TAINTER
Prob not the belt, check the serpentine belt tensioner. 9 time out of 10 that si what is making noise. I have had them replaced on every H3 we have had at about 25-30k. At 30k your plugs are just fine. Run 2 tanks of TECHTRON (not some other cheapO crap) to clean out the fuel system and deposits on your valves. You won't believe the difference 2 bottles of TECHTRON (about $12ea) will do for your HUMMER.

Brakes at 30K! Someone got taken by their stealership! Even if you are very hard on your brakes you should get 45-50k on the OEM pads.

I go by the manual for fluid changes. But oil I do on a regualr basis every 5k if it needs it or not.

Other fluids (trans, Ft/Rr diff/ T-case) EXCEPTION: if you wheel in water/mud a lot. Then you will want to check it for a milky white color (water contamination) and change it ASAP if you find it!
Well I didnt have them replaced at the stealership so they didnt get me bought my own brakes and had them done at mom and pop shop near my house where we usually get tires fixed, etc. I did use BG 44K in the truck last year so I guess thats a similar product to Techtron ? Did some research back then and found that product being the best out there. You guys are talking about the belt tensioner, do you mean have it checked at any auto place or myself? I am not sure that I would know how to check it.

Old 02-17-2011, 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by Doc Olds
At 30K there is no suggested service. Follow the owner's manual, not what some doofus at the steelership tells you in their sales pitch. Change the oil when the DIC message tells you to.

BTW, your H3 doesn't have any spark plug cables to change.
Thanks Doc ! I was not really following the dealership's advise or manual, just thought the truck was 5 years old so might need some work despite the low mileage, but if you guys say its ok then I am sure you know better then me and I am kinda glad, more money in my pocket

Old 02-18-2011, 12:14 AM

Originally Posted by Raffi76
Well I didnt have them replaced at the stealership so they didnt get me bought my own brakes and had them done at mom and pop shop near my house where we usually get tires fixed, etc. I did use BG 44K in the truck last year so I guess thats a similar product to Techtron ? Did some research back then and found that product being the best out there. You guys are talking about the belt tensioner, do you mean have it checked at any auto place or myself? I am not sure that I would know how to check it.
You can check it, start it cold and open the hood look for the belt tensioner, If the squeek/squeel is comming from that area 9 times out of 10 that is the issue. Might as well replace the belt if you need a new tensioner. Use the old one as a trail spare!

Quick Reply: Maintanance Work