PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Loose drivers side mirror?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2010, 10:38 PM
Default Loose drivers side mirror?

okay, so i've had my hummer for about 2 months now. And I notice when i'm on the freeway and hit about 60, my drivers side mirror starts to make an annoying hummingish vibrating kind of sound. It's really annoying. I notice that it is moving around alot in the wind. not like it's going to fall off, but considerably shaking around. i look over at the passenger side mirror and it seems to be more stable. I'm not just talking about the mirror, but the whole housing. Does anyone else have this problem? And if so, is there a way to tighten the mirror? Or do I need a new one? ugh.. PLEASE HELP!!!!

~jenn

Old 01-12-2010, 11:09 AM

I also had this problem. I took it to the dealer, and i'm out of warranty so they said it was going to be $300-$400 to get a new one. They claimed it couldnt be tightened. i went about fixing it the super cheap way, but it works. what i did was get some welders puddy, and put a very thin layer of it on the base of the mirror housing while the mirror was folded in. once the puddy dried, it acted as a wedge when i folded the mirror back in to place.... now it's fully stable. i was sure not to cover up any screws or anything like that.

Like i said, cheap and easy.

Old 01-12-2010, 01:02 PM

my passenger side does it but doesnt make any noise... Although I got a leak in the bottom right corner of my windshield somewhere that makes alot of whistling and crap on the high way. I gotta figure that one out.

Old 01-12-2010, 11:11 PM

3 to 400? Ugh!

Old 02-25-2010, 11:36 PM

where can I get this Welders Puddy at?

Old 02-26-2010, 06:54 PM

Any auto parts store. there's JB Weld, QuickSteel, WaterWeld... the puddy is the easiest to handle (might want to wear latex gloves). It also dries quickly.

Old 08-21-2011, 05:34 PM
Default Has anyone figured out how to fix this the right way

This post is old and I was wondering if anyone has tried to take the mirror apart to fix it? I just bought my H3 about a month ago and have some good info on this web site and will let everyone know what I find when I fix the mirror

Old 08-21-2011, 07:14 PM

well it's not fun but it can be done

Old 08-21-2011, 07:29 PM
Default I have some info on the problem

Just to be clear, my problem is not with the glass itself but with the housing the glass sits in. The housing is loose in the base and shakes when driving. I took the screws out that hold the plastic covers and found that there is an aluminum frame that the housing is mounted in. However, this is not the piece that supports the mirror housing. There is a thin piece of plastic that wraps around the aluminum and this is the plastic that is cracked. You can wiggle the housing and see the cracked plastic flex (terrible design). The only way to fix this problem correctly is to replace the mirror housing but for a $150 per side (both of mine are broken) for the part alone this is worth trying to fix yourself. I used JB Weld on the cracked plastic and clamped it to set overnight. I will let you know in the morning.........

Old 08-22-2011, 08:28 AM
Banned

ok,,,lets see the the pictures,,,we'll need them,later

Quick Reply: Loose drivers side mirror?