Hummer H3 For the Hummer driver who wants the rugged look and off road capabilities of the Hummer, but in a smaller size and with a more fuel economy friendly engine.

Locking Fuel Door?

Old 02-22-2015, 04:26 PM
Question Locking Fuel Door?

Anyone have experience with a locking fuel door? After a search on and offline I found these: Real Wheels and Defenderworx. Both are about the same price. Thanks in advance.

Defenderworx Fuel Door H3PPB08060 Black Lockable Hummer H3 | eBay

Hummer H3: Grooved Black Powder Coated Locking Fuel Door

Old 02-22-2015, 06:08 PM

I have the Defnderworx locking chrome fuel door. It's bad ***. Pretty easy to install, but also easy to steal if someone really wanted it.

Old 02-22-2015, 06:37 PM

I have the Defenderworx as well. The only issue I have with it is that the lock is very stiff, difficult to open at times. Also, we were up Nrth a couple of weeks ago (drove right through the storm that dumped 16 1/2" in one day on Chicago), the lock got frozen up. Would have been in a world of hurt if I did not have de-icer. I am triing to figure out how to remove the lock and replace with some kind of latch...

Old 02-22-2015, 06:56 PM

Ditto! Last winter salt had pretty much siezed the locking mechanism. I was on empty and couldn't get the thing open! Luckily I had a can of WD-40 that save the day. So now I keep it lubbed with white lithium spray.

Old 02-22-2015, 09:53 PM

For sure it worth to install this kind of fuel door that could be locked. Just always try to keep lock lubed in winter time, like guys mentioned in previous posts! I had bad experience with my lock when it was frozen and stuffed with winter salt. I try to put gas when I was almost empty and trying to open fuel door lock I broke my key inside key slot! Thank to God, I managed to remove broken key from key slot!

Old 02-22-2015, 10:51 PM
Old 02-27-2015, 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by Nitro Express
I have the Defenderworx as well. The only issue I have with it is that the lock is very stiff, difficult to open at times. .
Funny story about this. My truck had the locking door on when I bought it. About 2-3 days after I bought it, I needed to put some fuel in it for the first time. I went to unlock the door, and the lock wouldnt budge, not even a little. I was really pissed, I thought the dealership had messed up somehow and given me a wrong key. Luckily I wasnt all the way on E, but the dealership I got it from was far enough away that I didnt think I could make it without refeuling. Got home, sprayed some WD-40 into the lock, and it loosened right up. Definitely had me upset for a minute though

Old 02-27-2015, 03:59 PM

most of them you can pry off with a putty knife!, the screws are so tiny.
i , in about a day, fashioned a ring of tough fiber material behind the fender. i ran about 6 stainless self tapping screws thru the chrome thing thru the fender and into the ring behind.

it aint coming off!
sometimes i even lock it....
if i ever run into the pix ill post them.

Old 03-03-2023, 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by norinco3264
I have the Defnderworx locking chrome fuel door. It's bad ***. Pretty easy to install, but also easy to steal if someone really wanted it.
Question on this locking fuel door. I'm in need of replacing my original chrome fuel door (it's 16 years old and falling apart). If you don't "lock" this Defenderworx fuel door does it stay closed by a spring or other mechanism or would it flap open on its own from driving?

Old 03-03-2023, 09:28 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by jbennett1978
Question on this locking fuel door. I'm in need of replacing my original chrome fuel door (it's 16 years old and falling apart). If you don't "lock" this Defenderworx fuel door does it stay closed by a spring or other mechanism or would it flap open on its own from driving?
Welcome J, so glad you could stop by and dig up an EIGHT YEAR OLD Thread about locking fuel doors for the H3 instead of posting up you own NEW Thread. Marvelous to be sure. READ: Old Threads/'Necro-Bumping'

The Defenderworx POS that was on my 09 Alpha Off Road when I bought it few years ago was trashed, heavily corroded and it was a southern truck that never saw road salt???? It has to be locked to stay shut.

The old dawg is now closed.