Hummer H3 For the Hummer driver who wants the rugged look and off road capabilities of the Hummer, but in a smaller size and with a more fuel economy friendly engine.

a little coolant in transmission fluid

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2014, 09:26 AM
Default a little coolant in transmission fluid

Hummer h3 2007 Is it critical to rebuild a 4l60e transmission if a little coolant gets in transmission. I have read that MB allows a certain PPM (up to 10%) of coolant in transmission fluid without concern. Does the 4l60e have anything similar. If so what are the recommendations.

What are the replacement parts etcs, necessary recommended or required

I checked the the fluid prior to taking to a transmission place for replacement of the Input speed sensor (ISS).

Shop pulled the torque converter and showed me the trans fluid out of the torque converter and it was not the same as the fluid I check a few days prior.

also the shop is saying the tc in the radiator is cracked and that is where coolant is getting in the tc. If this is true then of course replacement is necessary. Concern the shop never pressure tested the radiator to see. thoughts?

next is is necessary to change the tc or what are the repair necessary

I am a little concerned the shop is giving me the biz going from 1100 to to 3700 to rebuild the tc and replace the radiator

thought, advice, expertise

Old 07-16-2014, 10:21 AM
Super Moderator

Many peeps have had the radiator problem you are experiencing. Let them do the trans, you do the radiator.

Here in the Motor City, a Trans rebuild is $1200-$1500 with a 90 day warranty, unless your valve body went bad. You can pay more and stretch the warranty.

READ the radiator leak thread, search it as well. Replacing the radiator is a simple DIY project, and a local radiator shop could do a better job for substantially less than you are being quoted. FYI and AC Delco radiator is like $350.00, off brands are close to half that.

Water/coolant and transmissions do not mix.

Old 07-16-2014, 06:10 PM

thanks Doc

yeah I planned on replacing the radiator myself along with the hoses while I'm at it. yes this it very easy DIY

water / coolant / Transmissions no good I understand but is it necessary to change out the torque convert and all the seals. The trans oil did not look too bad but I am not certain that the shop did add a little help to the color and condition because I check the oil and it looked real good on the dip stick

For you auto shop experts what liability does a shop have when they start pulling the tc to "show me the problem" when they were never authorized to pull the tc and other parts.

can I have the shop put it all back together and have the TC system flushed once or even twice and go forward. Is the Trans domed to fail....

what are the pros and cons

Old 07-17-2014, 08:31 AM
Super Moderator

If your trans was shifting properly and not too hot, I personally would try the flush it all clean and button it back up and see what you have.

The auto shop stuff is controlled by state law. In MI there is a strong consumer protection law that requires written work orders. Check your local laws. I would bring to their attention their lack of authorization, and offer to resolve it by having them do the flush and button up for fair compensation.

Reality is, if the shop it is at are azzholes, they can refuse to return your truck claiming you verbally agreed to pay for the work and are trying to stiff them .... resulting in the need for legal services to free your ride and hope they did not sabotage something before you get it back.

Keep in mind, transmissions cannot deal with internal rust/corrosion. So if it is clean, they should be able to flush it and put it back together. If they took it apart, maybe now is the time to explore a Monster (Beast) Sun Shell??? They get paid to do something and you get an improvement.

Old 07-25-2014, 12:22 AM

Happened to me a while back... car went into limp mode and I had to get a new tranny and radiator, Luckily I had a extended warranty so it was only $80.00.

Old 07-29-2014, 09:47 AM

I may be having the same problem, My 2007 H3 is having issues, I was driving and was hesitating and now I cannot drive more than 20 mph. Shop said my transmission fluid was mixed with my engine coolant, flushed and cleaned all lines and replaced transmission fluid.
H3 ran well for 4 days, and same thing happen again. I wS driving about 50 mph and the rpm revved up and I could not drive over twenty mph again. Any help or suggestions?

Old 07-29-2014, 09:49 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Spa.time.cj@gmail.com
I may be having the same problem, My 2007 H3 is having issues, I was driving and was hesitating and now I cannot drive more than 20 mph. Shop said my transmission fluid was mixed with my engine coolant, flushed and cleaned all lines and replaced transmission fluid.
H3 ran well for 4 days, and same thing happen again. I wS driving about 50 mph and the rpm revved up and I could not drive over twenty mph again. Any help or suggestions?
Replace the radiator.

What would be the point of flushing out the fluids without fixing THE problem?

Old 07-29-2014, 09:57 AM

I will take it back to shop, radiator was replaced 8 months ago, thank you.