PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Leveling kit problems?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2010, 01:21 PM
Default Leveling kit problems?

I am starting mods on my h3 and I'm starting with the ready lift leveling kit. My local guy said he will gladly get and install the part and he does very cheap work since I know him so I'm just gonna let him deal with it. Although he will do it, he told me that he doest recommend leveling kits though. He says they put all joints,axels,etc and a different angle and that joints and axels could wear faster. Has anyone had any problems out of leveling kits or will it more than likely take a long time to notice any problems?

Old 05-27-2010, 04:55 PM

Have seen many, many leveled including mine for the last 26,000 miles, No probs at all. If it does wear any parts out, it must take a really long time. Just don't go over 24 inches from center of front axle nut to the bottom of the fender going straight up... Any thing over that and yes you are going to have some problems. Unless you are looking to put a lift kit and new shocks on it...

Old 05-27-2010, 05:01 PM

Why do you need a leveling kit to level? have you used the search function here? 99% of H3 owners leveled their rigs with a socket and a tape measure.

Old 05-27-2010, 05:15 PM

Yes I have used the search function here. There are plenty of people that have tried turning there torsion bars, and there are also plenty that have used actual leveling kits. And I have considered each option. To each there own my friend. I'm not that great when it comes to working on mechanical problems as it is, and even if I was I prefer to have it professionally done, so that if there is any problems it's there fault and not mine. Seems like an easy enough project, but I just don't like the idea of cranking on my torsion bars. Thanks though..

Old 05-28-2010, 06:17 AM

Originally Posted by dbrown6240
Yes I have used the search function here. There are plenty of people that have tried turning there torsion bars, and there are also plenty that have used actual leveling kits. And I have considered each option. To each there own my friend. I'm not that great when it comes to working on mechanical problems as it is, and even if I was I prefer to have it professionally done, so that if there is any problems it's there fault and not mine. Seems like an easy enough project, but I just don't like the idea of cranking on my torsion bars. Thanks though..
If you are near a hummer dealer, let them adjust the torsion bars and align it for you for about $80.00 don't let a 4x4 shop sell you a kit you don't need. Use the cash you will save for shocks or bigger tires.

Old 05-30-2010, 05:46 AM

Originally Posted by marksteven
If you are near a hummer dealer, let them adjust the torsion bars and align it for you for about $80.00 don't let a 4x4 shop sell you a kit you don't need. Use the cash you will save for shocks or bigger tires.
My nearest hummer dealer is almost two hours, but I think I'm gonna try and contact GM and chevy and see if they have any experience in doing this and try to save myself some money. Thanks for the suggestion.

Old 05-30-2010, 06:07 AM
Default shocks?

I've been researching the subject on shocks for when I get this leveling done. Seems that some people use the bilsteins and some don't. Anyone on here without the bilsteins have any input on this? Is the nose dive/ride horrible without changing shocks?

Old 05-30-2010, 01:14 PM

The bilstein shocks give you extended length, factory shocks do not have enough travel after leveling. The bump stops you should install get rid of the nose dive.
Simply put, Crank the torsion bar, install bump stops, install shocks, get an alignment. Torsion bars are MEANT to be cranked, they are essentially springs, your not hurting them. Moving them will change the factory specs, does it accelerate wear, sure, minutely, as in very small. A leveling kit will do the exact same thing with the exact same results, except you will be out 200 more bucks. Your still going to get the same angle on your front end components whether you crank or install keys.

Old 05-30-2010, 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by dbrown6240
My nearest hummer dealer is almost two hours, but I think I'm gonna try and contact GM and chevy and see if they have any experience in doing this and try to save myself some money. Thanks for the suggestion.
Your welcome. if you read the freq. asked question about how to level, i really think you will have no problems doing it yourself. mine was leveled by the dealer at time of delivery. after 1 1/2 years, i noticed it sagged about 1/2 inch. today i measured and got 23" from center hub to fender lip and 39 1/8" from ground to fender lip. i crawled under and marked the adjusting bolt with a dab of white paint to use for reference. i then did 2 1/2 turns passenger side and 2 turns drivers side and got 1/8" under 24" and 40" from ground to fender lip. i drove it and re - measured. all this took 20 min. i say go for it yourself, just take your time and write down the amount you turn each bolt and keep measuring.

Name:  011-1.jpg
Views: 1742
Size:  129.0 KB

Old 05-30-2010, 06:43 PM

thanks guys. I've did alot of reading on here and I guess if I'm gonna do it i'm gonna spend the money and do it right. I've ordered my bumpstops and I'm looking around now for the cheapest bilsteins. When there all in I'll take it to a dealer where they can align and do it all there for me.

Quick Reply: Leveling kit problems?