PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

LED HeadLight swap ?!

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2014, 08:47 PM

Thanks for this thread a7. I am very interested in your results.

Old 10-14-2014, 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by 4Scargo
Thanks for this thread a7. I am very interested in your results.
will do update the thread as soon as i make any change

Old 10-19-2014, 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by a7m1
will do update the thread as soon as i make any change
What you have is a South African Built Hummer H3, most probably its a 2009 and comes with fender flares/clear signals. Your light has an auto align feature (allows you to raise/lower the headlights from inside the cabin).
Be careful when aligning the lights after you install the new bulbs, one of the Hex screws aligns the beam Right/left and the other UP/DOWN.

Im running 50W HIDs, the H4 type bulb has a shield that reduces glare noticeably (when compared to an H13 bulb) but it will still have some glare. Im interested to know how the LEDs do with you, please update us.

Old 10-22-2014, 10:06 PM

Any word A7?

Old 10-23-2014, 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by amrg
What you have is a South African Built Hummer H3, most probably its a 2009 and comes with fender flares/clear signals. Your light has an auto align feature (allows you to raise/lower the headlights from inside the cabin).
Be careful when aligning the lights after you install the new bulbs, one of the Hex screws aligns the beam Right/left and the other UP/DOWN.

Im running 50W HIDs, the H4 type bulb has a shield that reduces glare noticeably (when compared to an H13 bulb) but it will still have some glare. Im interested to know how the LEDs do with you, please update us.

Thanks for all the information supplied, yes it has some leveling options on the headlight switch and there is auto option too,

this is how the switch ( ~ exactly )looks like

I am still awaiting the bulbs to arrive( from china)

btw these are the bulbs I have ordered

the package seems on it's way to my country ,

60W 3000LM H4(9003/HB2)Car Cree LED Headlight Kit Bulbs Lamp H/L - US$56.99

Old 10-23-2014, 09:48 AM

@amrg

how I can make sure that i'll not mess up with light alignment? I wont touch or move any screws

is unplugging and replugging the bulb safe? I did that as I was writing some posts in this topic to get the exact bulb specs

I just hope that i'll face no problems installing the leds ( with the h4 clips) as these LED's come with cooling fan

@4Scargo

i'll update the thread on every change don't worry about it

Old 10-26-2014, 07:18 PM

U da man!

Old 10-29-2014, 08:31 AM

@amrg

how I can make sure that i'll not mess up with light alignment? I wont touch or move any screws

is unplugging and replugging the bulb safe? I did that as I was writing some posts in this topic to get the exact bulb specs

I just hope that i'll face no problems installing the leds ( with the h4 clips) as these LED's come with cooling fan

@4Scargo

i'll update the thread on every change don't worry about it
Un plugging and re plugging is safe. Just don't keep it unplugged for a long time, you don't want moisture or dust to get inside the light housing.
As for alignment, you will surely mess up the vertical (up/down) alignment. From my experience on two H3s with H4 bulbs, the two lock tabs that hold the bulb in place are very hard to lock/unlock with aftermarket lights (at least with HID bulbs). With ebough force, you will get the lights out of alignment. Its very easy to fix though, just make sure you don't over tighten the alignment tabs as they are easy to break!

Old 10-30-2014, 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by amrg
Un plugging and re plugging is safe. Just don't keep it unplugged for a long time, you don't want moisture or dust to get inside the light housing.
As for alignment, you will surely mess up the vertical (up/down) alignment. From my experience on two H3s with H4 bulbs, the two lock tabs that hold the bulb in place are very hard to lock/unlock with aftermarket lights (at least with HID bulbs). With ebough force, you will get the lights out of alignment. Its very easy to fix though, just make sure you don't over tighten the alignment tabs as they are easy to break!

don't worry about moisture or dust ,I won't leave anything unplugged/removed overnight

I have no idea if I messed up the alignment or not, but the h4 clips are very tough, they cause me some fingers pain when releasing them(you have to push then move the clip to release position ) I have heared some clicking from the alignment motor though, I think I had the switch in accessories position , lights off have no idea why it would move around if messed with lol

today I have received the package , it was nicely wrapped, arrived in timely manner ~ 14 days from china

here's how the installiation would work ,

#1 disconnect and unclip halogen bulb, remove halogen bulb from housing

#2 detach the h4 bracket from the LED bulb you just force it out or push the little button then it releases

#3install the h4 bracket and clip it down

#4 push the bulb through the bracket and rotate until it clicks

#5 connect the h4 plug

Done

the bulb responds immediately , high beam has no lag at all, low beam also starts instantly

good color temperature to my licking not very blueish , not pure white either I am not lightning engineer though

(Side By Side Comparision)

Driver side Halogen Passenger side LED

Low Beam (Right LED) (Left Halogen)

High Beam (Right LED) (Left Halogen)

mind that picture quality, some pictures took with a cheap smartphone others took with a quality smartphone

Comparing Size To CordLess Phone

Full installiation

(Not sure if this picture is low or high beam)

Low Beam

High Beam

more picture of actuall driving is coming

the Light Pattern is not that bad at all, it's in fact smooth to my eyes

it's my capturing that makes it awful ( car is parked on my garage on incline )

will try to take close ups near a wall or to the street

And I call it a day

Last edited by a7m1; 10-30-2014 at 05:30 PM.
Old 10-31-2014, 03:55 PM

don't worry about moisture or dust ,I won't leave anything unplugged/removed overnight

I have no idea if I messed up the alignment or not, but the h4 clips are very tough, they cause me some fingers pain when releasing them(you have to push then move the clip to release position ) I have heared some clicking from the alignment motor though, I think I had the switch in accessories position , lights off have no idea why it would move around if messed with lol

today I have received the package , it was nicely wrapped, arrived in timely manner ~ 14 days from china

here's how the installiation would work ,

#1 disconnect and unclip halogen bulb, remove halogen bulb from housing

#2 detach the h4 bracket from the LED bulb you just force it out or push the little button then it releases

#3install the h4 bracket and clip it down

#4 push the bulb through the bracket and rotate until it clicks

#5 connect the h4 plug

Done

the bulb responds immediately , high beam has no lag at all, low beam also starts instantly

good color temperature to my licking not very blueish , not pure white either I am not lightning engineer though

mind that picture quality, some pictures took with a cheap smartphone others took with a quality smartphone

Comparing Size To CordLess Phone

more picture of actuall driving is coming

the Light Pattern is not that bad at all, it's in fact smooth to my eyes

it's my capturing that makes it awful ( car is parked on my garage on incline )

will try to take close ups near a wall or to the street

And I call it a day
I hope you can post street / desert pictures of the Low/high beams, without the Fog lights. As for the light pattern, the H4 does a great job with reducing glare for oncoming drivers. I have HIDs in both of my trucks and the 06 H3 (which runs H13 bulbs) causes alot of glare while the 09 H3 (with H4 bulbs) doesn't. I don't know how the LEDs do, but I'm interested to see the results.

Quick Reply: LED HeadLight swap ?!