PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

leaking moon roof, surprise surprise

Old 05-08-2012, 07:44 PM

Just found this forum.

I have an 06 H3 with a leaky sun roof. Twice it was taken care of by the dealer under warranty. Sunday night left the H3 outside and we had a frog strangler. Monday morning find a 1 inch of water on the front passenger side floor. Took it the dealer for oil change and a couple small items. Service writer says yeah the water leak is a problem on the H3's. He calls and states $412 dollars to fix problem. Th won't cover because its out of warranty by 15 months.
waiting to hear from GM customer service wether they will cover it. Has anyone else had it covered out of warranty?

luv2fly

Old 05-08-2012, 11:57 PM
Banned
Default the roofs all leak

they have to,the seal cant be perfect. so inside is a channel all around the window with a drain on each corner. the drains get plugged.
its been discussed here 4673 times. read all about it and pick your cure. be careful blowing them out.
need to pull liner to get the rear drains. or?

Old 05-10-2012, 03:05 PM
Originally Posted by luv2fly
Just found this forum.

I have an 06 H3 with a leaky sun roof. Twice it was taken care of by the dealer under warranty. Sunday night left the H3 outside and we had a frog strangler. Monday morning find a 1 inch of water on the front passenger side floor. Took it the dealer for oil change and a couple small items. Service writer says yeah the water leak is a problem on the H3's. He calls and states $412 dollars to fix problem. Th won't cover because its out of warranty by 15 months.
waiting to hear from GM customer service wether they will cover it. Has anyone else had it covered out of warranty?

luv2fly
I just had that same problem and since my boyfriend does not know about Hummers I took it to the dealer. They said the water is coming in from the sunroof and the sunroof drain system is clogged. Therefore this cause water to back up and spill on my driver side floor by the emergency brake and I even heard water in my dash swooshing when I made a turn after first driving off after a rain spell.

My dad said I got ripped off cause it's easy to do, but they had to remove something and clean them and then put them back. Took about 2 hours tops and cost me $203. I was tired of parking my car with a grey tarp covering the sunroof and it has been raining a lot here in Pittsburgh lately. I feel better that the car dealer did it vs. my boyfriend just blowing air in with the compressor.

Old 05-10-2012, 05:36 PM
Banned

some say its good to pour some water/cleaner in each corner periodically to keep them clean.
when i visit Kittanning it rains every day! glad i moved out!

Old 05-10-2012, 06:00 PM

Sounds like one needs to be careful where you park with a sunroof to avoid tree litter, etc.

Old 07-13-2012, 11:39 AM

Hey everyone, I want to thank all of you guys on here that have taken the time to write about your situation with this annoying water leak. Just want to throw in my own experience on my fix, after a week of rain and a lake inside my passenger side i decided to blew out the drains with compressed air. Unfortunately they were to clogged that they ended up disconnecting from the top and firewall side. I started to take the cowl, fender well , and part of the dash off. My main problem was the passenger side other sides were OK. Once i started to take part of the dash off i decided to try and find the connecting end on the firewall side had a hard time finding its location. if you take the plastic off the side and expose the inside of the dash there is a metal bar that helps holds the dash together. Its a tight squeeze but if you put your hand behind that and feel around you'll find the placement on the firewall where the end of the drain hose connects too. took a hose with a 90'' angle plastic end and blew it completely out with compress air until i heard it blow out without a problem. Put the drain hose back into the firewall, poured water through the top and flowed out like magic by the fender. Put everything back together and cant wait for it to rain now!! Thanks you guys for your post and hope mine comes in handy.

Old 09-15-2012, 08:16 AM

Hey guys. My two cents as well. I actually had a bad seal in the right rear drain cup. The seal between the cup and tracing was worn thin and pushed out of place.
I removed it and cleaned it out and used aquatic shak for dive suit repair to fix the seal and reached it and boom leak was gone. The rear floor was getting soaked due to water dripping out the cup and down the headliner onto the wheel well to the floor so i had to dry the carpet, or awfully thick foam i guess after and no leak So far.
I jade checked the tubes on both ends and had the headliner and all plastic in back off and couldn't find it until that day.
Figured it would help someone.

Old 09-15-2012, 11:31 PM

The drains in the H3's are pretty much a joke. I'm in the process of trying to repair mine, it's a lot of work. You gotta pull the rear seat out, and both the rear panels off. There is 5 nuts holding the rear seat on, then pull the upper seat belt bolts out. Then pull the panels off. From there, there is the hole where the seat belt strap is bolted to the frame, there is a hose on both the driver and passenger side. Pull those from the drain holes on the wheel well and clear any debris. If that doesn't solve the problem, use an air hose and blow air through the drain holes on either side on the sun roof catch. If its not that then the hoses are disconnected somewhere above the headliner. Good luck and I hope this helped you

Old 09-16-2012, 04:00 PM

Ok, i am pretty sure there is only one connection in your rear. The hose connects onto the cup that is hooked on The track. It runs from there across the headliner and down the pillar next to the seatbelt. And yes there is a hole the seatbelt goes through and this is where the hose is hooked through the firewall. But you don't have to take the seats out?? Drop the headliner and you can get the drain hose off as well as see the cup. Just the rear plastic comes off and the seatbelt bolt and you have it all apart. Fold The seat down not take it out. I blew water as well as air through them and used weed eater line and cleared all mine when i fixed the cup seal. I did not take the x out of the front ones as they were not plugged at all but will next time. It should only take an hour or so to do and ten min to put back together.
Not too hard. I hadn't done hardly anything to a car before and i fixed.d i am doing everything.g now as i know i am more cautions and caring with it than any mechanic i have been to yet.
And just about anything you need to know is on here.