PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

leaking moon roof, surprise surprise

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2011, 07:17 PM
Default leaking moon roof, surprise surprise

my ol lady just bought an 06 h3, she ran it through the car wash today and called me saying the truck is flooded, she thought there was a leak by the e brake. after researching, i guess this is a common problem, unfortunately the factory warranty is done. i called a local dealer, they said it could range from 200-1500 for the repair. is there anyone on here that has had to pay for the repair? i dont want to just clear out the drains, i want this fixed and fixed right. i think we will are going to take it to a dealership and see what they find, i just wanted a better ballpark an what someone else paid.

she also just texted me and pulled up the carpet and found two maroon towels under the carpet......and when she bought it they didnt wash it for her, they gave her a free voucher for a car wash......this is gettin better and better. what do yall think?

Old 05-31-2011, 08:06 PM

Wow sorry to hear that! I've read many of times on this forum that you could use an air hose or pipe cleaner and run it through the two holes that can be seen towards the front opening of the moonroof (when opened they are visible)

Old 05-31-2011, 08:45 PM

All sunroofs leak sooner or later. Clean the drains, It is a common enough problem on anything with a sunroof. There is nothing else to fix and fix it right if the drains are clogged full of debris and cannot do their job.
A couple minutes with an air hose or some weed wacker line and they can be cleared out.

Old 05-31-2011, 09:00 PM

I would try to use air, pipe cleaner, wire, weed eater cord, etc, to unclog your drains before going to a dealership. The drain tubes themselves are less than $6 per corner, but it's the headliner removal, windshield garnish removal, upper quarter trims, and lower quarter trims where the dealership sticks it to you. The "1's" are your drain tubes.
leaking moon roof, surprise surprise-untitled.jpg

Old 05-31-2011, 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by mudrock
my ol lady just bought an 06 h3, she ran it through the car wash today and called me saying the truck is flooded, she thought there was a leak by the e brake. after researching, i guess this is a common problem, unfortunately the factory warranty is done. i called a local dealer, they said it could range from 200-1500 for the repair. is there anyone on here that has had to pay for the repair? i dont want to just clear out the drains, i want this fixed and fixed right. i think we will are going to take it to a dealership and see what they find, i just wanted a better ballpark an what someone else paid.

she also just texted me and pulled up the carpet and found two maroon towels under the carpet......and when she bought it they didnt wash it for her, they gave her a free voucher for a car wash......this is gettin better and better. what do yall think?
I'd raise hell at the dealership, they obviously knew what was up.

Old 05-31-2011, 09:24 PM

If it is not clogged drains or detached drain hoses, check the adjustment. If you look at it from the top, all 4 corners should be close to flush with the roof. When I bought my 08 new, I had to take it back to be adjusted. It was not properly returning to the "HOME" position. I have since run across a calibration procedure to fix that. Push the button to the vent position and hold it for 10 seconds. I don't know if that works or not because my 2010 was properly adjusted from the dealer. Just another option just in case.

Old 05-31-2011, 09:49 PM
Banned

its gotta leak, A LITTLE, and clear drains will handle it.
fwiw, the glass should be .020 in below the metal roof at the front, and .020 above at the back.
dont ask why,,thats the gm book spec.
my new 10 is NOT that close but enuf and i aint messin at this point.

i do rub the rubber and contact area with silicon grease when i think of it.
keep it clean.
i cannot get more than 30 inch of whacker cord in mine that are open?
i hit a ??turn??

Last edited by drtom; 05-31-2011 at 09:54 PM.
Old 06-01-2011, 12:13 AM
Location: The Empire State... should be called The Nanny State

Are you 100% positive it's the sunroof? It would be the likely source given that this is a known issue with this truck, but there has also been an issue where a windshield wasn't properly siliconed.
Other things to take into consideration:
If you blow the sunroof drain holes out with air or use the weed wacker cable, you want to be mindful not to use too much pressure or you risk dislodging the drain tubes from your sunroof. This is based on the assumption that the drain tubes from the sunroof running through the headliner are not already dislodged taking into consideration that water is pooling on your floorboards and not dripping on your head through the OnStar microphone or dripping through other areas of the headliner. Of course I'm just speculating here as we don't 100% know the area where the leak is occurring. Disclaimer: I usually don't use the word ***-u-me because we all know what happens when one assumes...
Also when my dealer fixed my sunroof leak under warranty, one of the things he said was that the newer models have oversized drain tubes to help address this issue as it is a known problem. I believe he was referring to 2010's when he said newer models as that was the line that was just coming out when I had this addressed. If yours is an 06 and this was never addressed by a dealership previously, then it would lead one to believe you may have the same situation. I don't know what I did with that invoice so I don't have the GM part # for those "oversized" tubes, but I believe I posted it on one of the threads below. Now, how true that story is... I don't know. Maybe it was a subliminal way to get me to think about trading up to a 2010. I can only take the service advisors word on it but I do have to say that I haven't had a problem since this was fixed.
The threads below are a good read being in the unfortunate situation you're in. This sunroof bug has effected so many on this forum that there are a lot of similar/different views concerning this situation, some by members who no longer grace us with their virtual presence. Helpful if you try to track down where the leak is coming from, if you attempt to tackle this problem yourself, or at the very least you'll be knowledgeable about the situation if the stealership tries to put one over on you… in fact, you’ll probably end up more knowledgeable then the service advisor.
Sorry to hear about this misfortune. Don't let this get you too down though. It may have its quirks here and there but this is one hell of a truck I wouldn't trade in for anything right now.
Good luck & let us know how you make out!

https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/h...s-helpp-23871/

https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/h...orboard-20362/

https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/h...-issues-18066/

Last edited by JCA1981; 06-01-2011 at 02:20 AM. Reason: Damn confounded keyboard can't keep up with my mind
Old 06-01-2011, 05:19 AM

thanks for all the advice, i know there are a ton of posts on this situation and im sorry for bringing another one back, i think what im going to do is run it through the wash myself and make sure the moon roof is sealed correctly. from there i think we will go to the dealership and confront the manager, there is probably nothing they will do about it, all sales are final with used cars to these guys, then we will proceed service and get a quote. i just wanted to better educate myself on the h3. i dont really know too much about it. i know my girl loves it ever since she saw it and trading it or selling it is out of the question. its just frustrating buying a 20k+ vehicle and then something like this happens.

we were already looking for new tires for that beast too damnit

Old 06-01-2011, 07:45 PM

update- we took the hummer to the dealership, they gave us a loaner car and are going to send the hummer to a local GM dealership to be fixed. no cost to us.

Quick Reply: leaking moon roof, surprise surprise