Go Back   Hummer Forums - Enthusiast Forum for Hummer Owners > Hummer Lineup > Hummer H3
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Welcome to the Hummer Forums - Enthusiast Forum for Hummer Owners.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-16-2008, 06:38 AM

Default Leaking axle

I went last week to have my H3 oil change and tire rotation at 12,000 miles. The technician said my left front axle was leaking and I had to schedule a repair. What would cause this? I have never been off road with the H3. I still have the clunking noise even after having the new intermediate shaft installed. Could this be part of the problem? The noise always comes from the left front.
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Hummerforums!
Old 02-16-2008, 07:45 AM

Default RE: Leaking axle

ask them to check your transfer case gears, mine had simular issues and they changed my shaft and the gears in the transfer case. there are so many diff things that it can be. extra long body bolts, skid plate being loose ect. good luck
Old 02-16-2008, 10:05 AM
Super Moderator

Be sure to post what they find. Several people have had to have the steering shaft replaced more than once also,
1992 H1 HMC4
2005 H2 SUT
2008 H3 Alpha
Old 02-16-2008, 05:46 PM

Leaking where exactly? Seepage around the diff is not uncommon. But if it's a torn CV boot, you'll definitely want to have it checked out and replaced. A worn CV joint could be the cause of the noises you are hearing.
Old 02-16-2008, 07:12 PM

I just changed my diff fluid yesterday (Royal Purple 75-90) and was amazed at how loose the drain and fill plugs are. I took absolutely no effort at all to break loose the drain plug. Mine showed a "stain" on the bottom of the diff where it was apparently seeping out. I had water in my front diff from my flooding incident from a few weeks back. Some metal shavings on the plug, but not enough to worry about. Truck drives ALOT smoother with the new diff fluid.
2008 Hummer H3 Alpha. Graphite Metallic/Light Cashmere. Power Sunroof, Draw-tite Hitch, Window Tint, Weathertech mats, All Royal Purple fluids, Underbody Protection, 33" Firestone Destination MT's, Cognitos, Rocky Road Sliders.
Old 02-16-2008, 07:12 PM

Tags
2006, axel, axle, cv, diff, differential, front, h2, h3, hummer, hummer2, leak, leakage, leaking, plug