PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

K&N Filter Drying Time

Old 11-12-2006, 09:12 PM
Super Moderator
Default K&N Filter Drying Time

I cleaned my BLACK and Greasy K&N Filter today (50,000 miles my ***).

Anyway, I washed it with the cleaner fluid and am wondering how long I should let it dry before I apply the oil. It's been drying for about 3 or 4 hours already. I need to get it back installed before I go to sleep tonight. Do you think it's ready for the oiling?

Old 11-12-2006, 09:30 PM
Default RE: K&N Filter Drying Time

it says completely dry but i did it before and it was not dry it still worked wait till the morning.

Old 11-12-2006, 09:34 PM

K&N Air Filter Cleaning Instructions

1. APPLY CLEANER (SEE FIGURE 1)

FOLLOW ALL SAFETY INSTRUCTIONS ON THE K&N AIR FILTER CLEANER BOTTLE. IT IS RECOMMENDED TO UTILIZE K&N’S 32oz PUMP SPRAY CLEANER (P/N 99-0621) WHEN SERVICING LARGE OR DIESEL APPLICATION K&N AIR FILTERS.

Spray K&N Air Filter Cleaner onto both sides of the air filter until it completely saturates the pleated material.

A. Apply K&N Air Filter Cleaner to clean side of filter
B. Apply K&N Air Filter Cleaner to dirty side of filter

Allow cleaner to soak into both sides of air filter for 10 minutes to loosen the dirt. Do not let cleaner dry on air filter.

CAUTION: THE USE OF ANY OTHER CLEANING SOLUTION OR METHOD COULD DAMAGE THE FILTER!

2. RINSE (SEE FIGURE 2)

Rinse off air filter with cool low-pressure water. Allow gravity to flush dirt out of air filter by applying water to the clean side of the filter; up and down the length of the pleats.

Continue to rinse the filter until all traces of cleaner are gone. If the filter is extremely dirty it may be necessary to repeat steps 1 and 2. If there are spots of dirt remaining on the filter, spray each spot directly with cleaner, allow a few minutes for it to soak and repeat rinsing step.

3. DRY

After rinsing, gently shake off excess water and allow filter to dry naturally. Do not proceed to the oiling step until the filter is completely dry.

CAUTION: THE USE OF ANY OTHER DRYING METHODS (I.E. COMPRESSED AIR, DRYER HEATERS, HEAT GUNS) COULD DAMAGE FILTER.

4. OILING (SEE FIGURE 3)

RECOMMENDATION: FOR BEST RESULTS USE K&N AIR FILTER OIL.

Apply K&N Air Filter Oil liberally to the dirty side of the filter only. This will allow for a visual reference of complete coverage.

A. If using a K&N squeeze bottle, squeeze bead of oil along the crown of each pleat using the lip on the squeeze bottle tip as a guide. Utilize graduated view strip on bottle to dispense proper amount of oil.

B. If using a K&N aerosol spray, spray an even amount of oil along the crown of each pleat.

Wait 20 minutes for the oil to be absorbed into the filter media. Inspect the clean side of the filter for any areas that are lighter in color. Touch up these areas in the media by applying oil to the dirty side of the filter. Continue oiling procedure until there is an even red color over the entire surface of the clean and dirty side of filter.

Figure 1.

Figure 2.

Figure 3.

5. FILTER INSTALLATION

Before reinstalling filter back into vehicle, inspect it for damage. Follow any and all specific installation instructions that came with the K&N Air Filter.

CAUTION: FAILURE TO FOLLOW THE K&N INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS COULD LEAD TO AN IMPROPER SEAL RESULTING IN POSSIBLE ENGINE DAMAGE. PLEASE CALL K&N CUSTOMER SERVICE AT 1-800-858-3333 OR ENTER YOUR K&N AIR FILTER PART ON OUR PART SEARCH PAGE FOR AVAILABLE AIR FILTER INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS FOR YOUR VEHICLE.

http://www.knfilters.com/clningins.htm

Old 11-12-2006, 10:28 PM

mark is a info finding god

if it's still wet you can take a hair dryer to it on low setting...it will dry it in a few minutes.

I think out of your 1000+ posts 300 or more have been questions about the k&n filter

Old 11-12-2006, 10:51 PM
Super Moderator

Yeah, i think you're right. [] Well, not only K&N but CAI in general. Hell you guys know ten times more then I do. I bet most of you have taken an engine apart. I haven't. I have taken everything else apart except that.

I already oiled it and I'll put it back in tomorrow morning. I've done this before with my other cars, but I think I over-did it the other times. I still can't believe how much grime was on my filter. Do you want to see what 15k miles looked like? Here you go:

[IMG]local://upfiles/863/4560979E9A7B47678BC9D0ABC8F6E3D1.jpg[/IMG]

That's the path of my finger running through the grease. I have no idea where all that grease came from. I took the filter right out of the box and installed it after I got it.

It's actually very dark and black at alot of spots. Maybe it's just because I drive so much on the expressway during rush hour ever day its just sucking everybody else's exhaust up into my air box.

Old 11-12-2006, 11:47 PM

You're exactly right Mike..the Chi-town's express way air environment is very polluted with every kind of imaginable soot out there....

Besides, you know a helluva lot about TVs..

Old 11-13-2006, 12:00 AM
Super Moderator

Well if in theory the more dirt on the filter the better it is at catching even more dirt, maybe I prematurely cleaned it. I won't be driving to work anymore and only be driving to the train station in a very rural area, so I won't be getting that nasty stuff sucked into my air ducts anymore after a couple of weeks.

How do you know when you should clean it? I was always the only one that anybody knew to have one so I never REALLY knew when the right time was. K&N says between 50k to 100k but i would think that's driving through the country with no freakin grease in the air lol

ImportKiller is going to love me now

Old 11-13-2006, 12:03 AM

312 and counting

I never bought into the theory that a dirty filter catches more dirt particles than a clean one...I've heard it before and always thought it was bunk. The oil on a k&n catches the dirt particles, a greasy dirt clogged filter can only limit the amount of air it allows to pass through...which is a bad thing

Old 11-13-2006, 12:10 AM
Super Moderator

Funny. 312 Is the Chicago area code. Did you know that

313 - I never understood that either. They say the oil on the dirt it catches i guess engolfs the dirt and then it too catches even more dirt, but like you said, that means the amount of air gets decreased. I'll just put that Amsoil 25k mile oil in, put a super magnetized lithium-ion powered oil filter, put magnets on every oil and gas line, and spray super glue onto the K&N filter. That way I can catch anything that gets in that box. Hmm. Superglue air filter. Damn I have to get that oil off now!!

Old 11-13-2006, 12:22 AM

I didn't know that about the area code....I always knew I had untapped genious in me!!

I think the theory you are speaking of mostly is talking about fine dirt...nothing like what yours looks like!! I've seen better looking air filters on cars going through the crusher

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: K&N Filter Drying Time