PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

just rebuilt transmission now this!

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2015, 12:53 PM
Default just rebuilt transmission now this!

ok I rebuilt the transmission about 7 months ago maybe less. Today at a redlight I hit the gas and it just started creeping like i had started off in 3rd or 2nd gear. once she gets up to speed seems to shift fine, does ok at highway speeds. I got her home, disconnected the battery to reset the computer and she then drove ok for a little bit then did it again this afternoon. What do you think? I still have a warranty on the transmission rebuild but Ive moved and the mechanic is now 4 hours away. so I dont want to drop it off and have the guy says its something else that isnt under warranty.

Old 08-11-2015, 02:57 PM
Super Moderator

Disconnecting the battery does not "reset the computer" as your PCM stores the data from last 300 ignition cycles attached to a battery or not. More likely it cooled some with the down time. Heat is a Trans' worst enemy.

If it were me, I would take it back to the Trans shop that did the work. If the shop that did your work is super reputable, call them and see if you could take it to a closer shop for a diagnosis and let them talk to each other.

Old 08-14-2015, 11:33 AM

I have a lack of experience in this field, but every search I perform on the internet indicates a transmission rebuild typically can cost more than a remanufactured replacement, even having a shorter warranty as well. If this is accurate, what is the benefit to paying for a rebuild?

Old 08-14-2015, 02:18 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by norinco3264
I have a lack of experience in this field, but every search I perform on the internet indicates a transmission rebuild typically can cost more than a remanufactured replacement, even having a shorter warranty as well. If this is accurate, what is the benefit to paying for a rebuild?
You have to consider a remanufactured trans does not install itself, so you have to pay somebody or do that yourself.

Old 08-15-2015, 06:37 AM

Well Im taking it back today. I trust the shop that did the work. Seems as if it is doing it intermittently. I drove it 80 mile and when I get off the interstate at the stop light getting off it takes off like its in 2nd or 3rd. I put it into d1 and she drives fine. Then i have to upshift when I get up to speed. I have 181000 on my odo so its not surprising Im having problems. Ill update the thread when I figure out whats wrong

Old 08-15-2015, 10:33 AM
rsc

If your transmission is starting out in 2nd or 3rd, but manually shifts it sounds like the 1/2 shift solenoid is bad. Easy fix, drop pan and unscrew the square solenoid on the side of the valve body, reinstall the $25 part, reassemble and enjoy. Mine was done with the valve body already out, can't remember if that has to come out first.

Old 09-11-2015, 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by rsc
If your transmission is starting out in 2nd or 3rd, but manually shifts it sounds like the 1/2 shift solenoid is bad. Easy fix, drop pan and unscrew the square solenoid on the side of the valve body, reinstall the $25 part, reassemble and enjoy. Mine was done with the valve body already out, can't remember if that has to come out first.
Ok a month at the mechanic and he has replaced all solenoids and put a new wiring harness on it. He opened the transmission and everything looks good.
No fault codes. All he sees is a fault code on the 2/3 shift that says battery short. He said he cant figure it out but must be a wire somewhere or a short. Not sure what to do with it now

Old 09-11-2015, 06:43 PM

sounds like a pinched wire. where?? hope its outside!!

Old 09-12-2015, 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by happythree
sounds like a pinched wire. where?? hope its outside!!
Would the code let us know which wire? Im not sure what to do now. Mechanic said he couldnt do anymore and said I should take it to the dealer to flash the computer.

Old 09-12-2015, 10:50 PM

my GUeSS is the guy got a wire pinched when doing the solenoids?
pull the pan and look??

Last edited by happythree; 09-12-2015 at 11:19 PM.

Quick Reply: just rebuilt transmission now this!