Hummer H3 For the Hummer driver who wants the rugged look and off road capabilities of the Hummer, but in a smaller size and with a more fuel economy friendly engine.

Installed air horns....HOLY SH*T!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2010, 09:15 AM
Banned

The train horns on my buddies truck (recovery21) are literally so loud, he honked them in a supermarket parkinglot, and my wife heard them through the woods and upstairs in our condo with the doors shut and ac going.

Old 07-19-2010, 08:23 PM

thanks for posting the pics, I'm getting one

Old 07-21-2010, 09:28 PM

nice setup..

Old 05-15-2011, 09:07 AM

Agreed - well done!

Old 05-15-2011, 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by Broken Halo
After several days of planning, measuring, making templates for aluminum mounting plates, plumbing, and wiring, I FINALLY finished installing my air horns. No more 'sick cow' under the hood. This thing sounds like a Freightliner coming up on you! Here's the web address for the Wolo Challenger kit. It includes everything you'll need...air tank compressor, hose, wiring, solenoid valve, and, as an extra bonus, a 20ft. inflater hose, so you can fill tires from the on-board compressor. Wolo model: Challenger 810 EV.
WOLO TRUCK AIR HORNS AND HIGH PRESSOR ON-BOARD AIR SYSTEMS
Is there a delay when you hit the horn button, until the horn sounds ??
I had air horns years ago and the delay was caused by the compressor getting up to pressure then sounding the air horn. It wasn't a long delay, just instantaneous.
Trains and big rigs have air pressure all the time and don't have the delay
Thanks and let me know

Old 05-15-2011, 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by wfturner
Is there a delay when you hit the horn button, until the horn sounds ??
I had air horns years ago and the delay was caused by the compressor getting up to pressure then sounding the air horn. It wasn't a long delay, just instantaneous.
Trains and big rigs have air pressure all the time and don't have the delay
Thanks and let me know
Zero delay....that's the purpose of the air storage tank. The pressure is already stored. If running a compressor alone without a tank, then there would be a slight delay until pressure was reached, but, it would still not operate efficiently because even though you'd have the pressure, you would not have the volume, and for the horns to work effectively you need both.

Old 05-16-2011, 07:33 AM

Zero delay....that's the purpose of the air storage tank. The pressure is already stored. If running a compressor alone without a tank, then there would be a slight delay until pressure was reached, but, it would still not operate efficiently because even though you'd have the pressure, you would not have the volume, and for the horns to work effectively you need both.
x2. I have mine setup on my normal horn trigger, and the stock horn still fires off, but you can't hear it underneath the air horns. There is maybe an 8th of a second delay, but I could only tell when I was editing video and was scrubbing frame to frame.

Old 05-16-2011, 07:41 AM

Originally Posted by Hummer Guy
x2. I have mine setup on my normal horn trigger, and the stock horn still fires off, but you can't hear it underneath the air horns. There is maybe an 8th of a second delay, but I could only tell when I was editing video and was scrubbing frame to frame.
I set mine up independent of the stock horn so when I lock/unlock my doors I don't scare the hell out of whoever is in the area
Plus, this way I've still got the stock horn for the 'friendly little reminder' for someone not paying attention to the light turning green, and the air horns for the a$$hole that cuts me off!

Last edited by Broken Halo; 05-16-2011 at 07:45 AM.
Old 05-16-2011, 11:06 AM

Old 05-17-2011, 02:36 PM

Plus, this way I've still got the stock horn for the 'friendly little reminder' for someone not paying attention to the light turning green, and the air horns for the a$$hole that cuts me off!
I do not believe in friendly little reminders. I believe in "woah, maybe I shouldn't have been texting, Jesus, what the hell was that" reminders. That said, I think the emotional difference between quick bursts and draining the tank is easily discernible.

Quick Reply: Installed air horns....HOLY SH*T!!