PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Hummer recall - what the heck?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2016, 08:44 AM

My 3rd resistor finally stopped working on #3 blower speed. We've had some pretty cold days up here in Canada in the last couple weeks and with NO heat or defrost, it was becoming uncomfortable and unsafe to drive the Hummer (thank god for heated seats!).
I bit the bullet & took it into my mechanic for repair over waiting until who knows how long for GM to call me. He replaced the complete wiring harness that was getting crispy and added a "new/old stock" resistor. $200 out the door and I still have a fire trap, but at least it's a warm one.

Old 01-27-2016, 05:53 PM

Mine already caught on fire, replaced all the wiring, along with the relays, I was told "If GM decides it's a recall, you will be reimbursed if they (GM) deem my vehicle to be on the list of VIN numbers involved.
Whatever... They don't give a damn about anything or anyone.

Old 01-27-2016, 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by H3Coyote
Mine already caught on fire, replaced all the wiring, along with the relays, I was told "If GM decides it's a recall, you will be reimbursed if they (GM) deem my vehicle to be on the list of VIN numbers involved.
Whatever... They don't give a damn about anything or anyone.
GM has already said it is a recall item; the fix is not ready yet, though. All owners will be notified when the fix IS ready. In the meantime, there are plenty of threads on this site and others detailing how to fix the issue yourself.

Old 01-27-2016, 07:34 PM

650Hawk... Thanks man, my post really kind of sounded pretty rude actually, your post just brought it to my attention. I did fix it last summer after it caught on fire, I left the wiring harness and melted relays with the local dealership. I replaced the wiring and all 3 relays under the dash, I'm not glad that it happened, but it was in the summer so it made it an easy to deal with situation, and I was VERY obsessive with the repair, so it only took about an hour and a half (not including the initial freak-out time and tow home).
I didn't mean GM doesn't "give a damn about anyone or anything", the place that GM had me call was. The person I spoke with didn't understand that I had replaced everything myself due to the fire already.
I was told that GM would notify me if my 07 was "On the list" of vehicles, and to seek re-reimbursement from GM, who I had already spoken with. From that point I haven't pursued it any further.
But no, GM never treated me poorly, just the one guy at the call center that I spoke with.

Old 01-27-2016, 09:35 PM

That's cool. But I'm not sure what relays you're talking about. The heater recall issue will replace the wiring harness and the heater fan control resistor; there's only one. And the DIY fix involves soldering the harness to the resistor to eliminate the loose connection which causes it to overheat and melt.

Last edited by 650Hawk; 01-27-2016 at 09:37 PM.
Old 01-28-2016, 03:55 AM

Oh, I apologize, it happened in March of 2015, also I'd like to include that I used incorrect vernacular in my description. The highlighted **** is what caught on fire, I had to then use a fire extinguisher, made by a non-General Motors company to put the fire out. Followed immediately by removal of the GM glove box door, and separate glove box compartment using my hand at first, then later after calming down from the initial shock of my truck catching on fire I proceed to remove the left over pieces that were not broken in my foolish haste of saving my damn truck, with a screwdriver. I then, cut out the burned and charred harness. I was able to figure out how to solder in new connectors, and add the new harness part number 25949869, and a resistor (not a relay as I originally wrongly informed everyone), part number 10397098. also highlighted in the picture. The recall notice I received was in August of last year. I certainly do apologize for not having the correct dates for you as well in my original post.

Attached Thumbnails Hummer recall - what the heck?-img_20160128_031848444-1-.jpg  
Old 01-28-2016, 06:20 AM

ALL H3/H3Ts are in the recall.

Old 02-03-2016, 04:56 PM

Really hate to say this, but it appears as though they are simply aging this to minimize cost.

Hoping that many of these H3's will be retired from the road so they don't have to incur the costs associated with this.

Never have I seen a recall start with a letter and then more than 6 months later still no action.

Deplorable.

Old 02-03-2016, 09:52 PM

Originally Posted by H32006
Really hate to say this, but it appears as though they are simply aging this to minimize cost.

Hoping that many of these H3's will be retired from the road so they don't have to incur the costs associated with this.

Never have I seen a recall start with a letter and then more than 6 months later still no action.

Deplorable.
Agreed. Junk! Never again will I by another GM product. Sad because I LOVE my H3. But without the manufacturer backing (it NEVER had it) it's destined for the scrap heap. Blown heads, rusting doors, a wet swamp for an interior, electrical nightmare. Great looking ride with a poorly executed design from day one.

Last edited by Jruta; 02-03-2016 at 09:54 PM.
Old 02-04-2016, 07:36 AM

Originally Posted by Jruta
Agreed. Junk! Never again will I by another GM product. Sad because I LOVE my H3. But without the manufacturer backing (it NEVER had it) it's destined for the scrap heap. Blown heads, rusting doors, a wet swamp for an interior, electrical nightmare. Great looking ride with a poorly executed design from day one.

My feelings exactly!!! By the way when your tired of the burnt parts just solder the connections as I did at 15k miles. This was my dear moms hummer and she hardly drove it until she passed away. I'll never sell it, I'll just have to keep fixing it's issues. The warranty died at 10k and 4 yrs time. Head, blown shocks, rotten bump stops, water leaks, Burnt heater resistor connector, tie rods all at now 58k miles. And we bailed them out!!

Quick Reply: Hummer recall - what the heck?