PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Hummer H3X , Help keeping blowing ignition fuse

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2011, 08:31 PM
Unhappy Hummer H3X , Help keeping blowing ignition fuse

we have a 2007 h3x , and last week it died on my wife i found the inj fuse blown under the hood (15a) i replaced it and replaced the battery and the neg battery terminal end (it wouldn't tighten back up).

its been good for a week and now tonight it did it again , wife was driving she said it shifted hard when it blew.

i think this is the same fuse that runs the solenoids in the transmission but really dont know where to go from here.

is this a common issue ? whats the fix?

thanks

Old 09-08-2011, 11:22 AM

My crystal ball is in the shop so I guess the fix would be to take it in and have it diagnosed properly

Old 09-08-2011, 11:58 AM
Banned

15a runs 5 coils,park neutral sw,clutch start sw,??
more,,,

Old 09-08-2011, 12:18 PM

Pulled off the intake and found every coil pack wiring harness rubbing metal , and one was bare wired , was able to reproduce the fuse blowing, re routed wires and repaired with heat shrink.

Old 09-08-2011, 12:43 PM

Nice, glad to see you found a fix for it and posted it up! Thank you!

I'm gong to mark this post for future use!

Old 09-08-2011, 12:54 PM

The Coil wires are not in loom for the last few inches, GM should of ran a coil wire rail under the intake.

I suggest to other I5 owners to pull off the intake and re-enforce the coil wires, easy to unplug and tape up.

Please note that when one of these wires arch's and blows fuse number 33 , it kills the engine immediately with no warning. This is very dangerous if your on the highway or interstate.

As for the crystal ball comment above..... how much would a dealer of charged me to find and fix this? You don't run to the doctor when you have a headache do you?

Old 05-17-2012, 10:09 PM

Just had to fix this problem for my wife tonight. She was leaving work and the truck just quit on her. Luckily it happened in the parking lot. After some general troubleshooting, I found the 33 fuse blown. I replaced it with the rear window wiper 15A fuse. It blew when she turned tried to start the truck. I told her I could not fix it in the parking lot at her work. We decide to tow it to the house so I can get a better look at it. She goes back into work and calls the tow truck. While she is gone, I find this thread with a Google search on my phone. So I pull the intake before she gets back out and you can see exactly the spot where the wires insulation was worn through and grounding to the valve cover. I pull the wires away and put another fuse in 33 spot and have her try it. It starts right up. We call the tow truck driver and cancel. I got the truck home and wrapped 33+ on the wires several laps. Lay a couple layers on the valve covers where they have been rubbing and put some of that plastic corrugated tubing over the wires for all the coil packs. This should never happen again.

Thanks for the nicely done post guys. It really save us some money tonight.

Old 05-18-2012, 10:25 AM
Banned

pictures would be great on this one