PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hummer H3 Recall by GM

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2015, 08:21 PM

Fixed mine today part from carquest cost $60. Took 20 minutes

Old 08-02-2015, 06:43 PM

I realize this is an older thread that originated on this issue, but wanted to provide an update of information I found in the past couple of days. Here is the link to find the problem through each specific Vin#, just enter your info and it will bring up the recall post if your vehicle is affected. https://my.gm.com/na-gm/recalls GM is saying as of August 2, 2015 "INCOMPLETE. REMEDY NOT YET AVAILABLE" for the Blower Motor Resistor. Recall was made public on June 25, 2015. I'm trying to figure out whether to order the Blower Motor Resistor along with having the harness replaced, now or wait for the letter to come in the mail. Dealership has yet to receive anything formal from GM on this recall. Might be another issue along with the resistor and harness causing the delay to get this fixed. Anybody have more information, would love to hear it. I see where as far back as a couple years ago folks have ordered the Blower Resistor and harness which fixed the problem of the HVAC failing. Confused.

Old 08-03-2015, 09:03 AM

Since the problem originates with a bad connection between the resistor pack and the harness, simply replacing both parts (resistor & harness) with new ones MAY fix the issue…temporarily…if you’re lucky enough to get good tight connections with the new parts…for now. Realistically most of our units are probably tight and no problem, but eventually some loosen and then the heat starts causing problems. So the current “permanent fix” is to solder that connection, thereby eliminating the condition that creates the heat that melts the unit.

I’m sure that Chevy does not want to re-design and manufacture a completely new resistor pack (much more expensive for them and they likely use this same pack in multiple models), so my guess is that they are working on a better harness that will “lock” on to the resistor and provide a much tighter electrical connection that doesn’t loosen up over time. Once they are satisfied with the new harness/plug design, they will move forward with the recall to replace the resistor pack and the newly designed harness.

Old 08-03-2015, 11:20 AM

Thanks 650Hawk. Suspected GM might be working on trying to resolve the issue with the loose connection. I'll just wait and not run the HVAC until GM releases an official notification a fix is available. Will post an update when I get with my dealership for the replacement/fix. Hopefully soon

Old 08-03-2015, 02:17 PM

Like i said in a early post $69 part carquest auto parts 30 min ,took less time then the drive to dealer plus did not have to here the other 25 things i should have done to my h3x . Then i am a mechanic by trade .I have owned several h1s. think the h3 has problems by a h1 or h2 , Had to rep complete ac in 2 of my h1s to the tone of $5000.00 each plus 3 days of my time.

Old 08-04-2015, 11:15 AM

My blower stopped working last week. Took it to the dealer who made no reference to the recall and told me it would be $760 for parts and labor to replace the resistor and harness. I went and picked up the truck this morning and told him I would pass.

I live in Texas and it's going to be 106-108 every day for the next week. Living without AC until the recall is resolved isn't really an option. I'm inclined to replace the resistor and harness myself today and then let GM fix it again under the recall. It's B***S*** that I have to do this, but I don't think any of the local GM dealerships would fix this without being reimbursed by GM right now.

Old 08-04-2015, 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by BrokenAxle
My blower stopped working last week. Took it to the dealer who made no reference to the recall and told me it would be $760 for parts and labor to replace the resistor and harness. I went and picked up the truck this morning and told him I would pass.
$760!?! That's nothing short of a fkin ripoff. I spent 30 on a brand new resistor & harness, and spent roughly 1 hour installing it. There are a few write-ups if you search around..

Old 08-07-2015, 08:00 PM
Default Recall letters

Since the recall and I am curious to know if anyone has received a letter from GM or has made any progress at the dealerships ?

Old 08-07-2015, 09:52 PM

GM = Garbage!

Old 08-07-2015, 10:47 PM
Default got the letter

no charge,,,if and when they get the harness!!
probably the main reason is to get potential buyers into the showroom!

you know,"mr jones,this may take 2 hours,etc." so you have time to look at new stuff.

Quick Reply: Hummer H3 Recall by GM