PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

How long will it take for the LOW TIRE pressure light to go off?

Old 10-20-2009, 03:32 PM
Default How long will it take for the LOW TIRE pressure light to go off?

hey guys, I lowered my tire pressure today to 35psi from 40psi and after a couple of miles the low tire pressure light when on....so I put her back up to 40psi and now driving half the day the light still wont go off?????? any suggestions? the spare is at 45psi

thanks

Old 10-20-2009, 03:45 PM

Well, changing the tire pressure to 35 PSI should not have set off the monitoring system. However, I recently put 5 new tires on & had to take the HUMMER back because the Low Tire & Monitoring System light would not go off. Found out it was the spare tire that was giving the problems & the 5th tire is not part of the resetting instructions. Once the system was reset, I was tild to drive 15 miles & the system would reset itself. I thought it was a bunch of "get off my lot" crap, but 15 miles to the 10th & the whole system reset. My suggestion would be to blow them back up to 40 PSI & reset as stated in the manual, but add the spare in.

Old 10-21-2009, 06:48 AM

maybe try inflating that one tire to 45 psi, turn the car off and back on again. if it goes off, let the extra 5psi out. works on my car.

Old 10-22-2009, 01:42 AM

Did you read the door panel? I went to Dunn Tire and had them put nitrogen in my tires to see if this would improve gas mileage.

Old 10-22-2009, 04:02 AM

Hello,
you can't add the spare to the reset-sequence. The reset-sequence is to tell the bcm wich sensors should be monitored on wich position. If you put the spare in, you will get a "Check TPMS" on the DIC. The BCM monitors if all wheels are turning while driving, if one of the wheels, programmed to be monitored, will not turn while driving (spare-tire), the BCM thinks the sensor is bad an puts the message on the DIC.

Do the reset-sequence like written in the manual and if you get 4 horn-honks everything will be fine.
If one wheel will not cause the truck to honk, the sensor is bad and has to be replaced, try the spare tire in this case. (Some trucks where build without a sensor in the spare-tire, you can check it by the valve cap and valve stem. A TPMS-sensor has a gray cap and a metal-stem.

After wheel rotation you have to do the reset to, because you changed the positions of the tires and the BCM recognises that.

The spare tire is not monitored by the TPMS.

Greets,

Jens

Old 10-24-2009, 08:11 AM

My low tire pressure comes on when I am wheeling... once I air back up it takes a couple miles for it to register.. I do think turning your key on and off a couple times can re-set the computer- maybe that will work in your case !