PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Hot Transmission?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2009, 02:44 PM
Default Hot Transmission?

Hey Guys. I have a 08 Alpha with less than 2000 miles. I made a 500 miles round trip last Independence day. I found that the front panel, the box lower transimssion switch, and the glove box between two foront seats were warm during driving. I can feel the temprature was about 90-120 Degree F. The truck comes with an GM in-dash navigation, and the touch screen was even hotter, it was about 130-150 degree. I had a serious coolant leaking problem before and the dealer fixed it easily. I checked the coolant level it seems normal.

I'm sure it's not due to the weather. It was raining when I was driving, and the ambient temperaure was always less than 60.

Is that normal? Any advice appreciated.

Old 07-06-2009, 10:24 PM

it doesnt seem normal at all ... i would go to the dealer again if i was u

good luck

Old 07-09-2009, 01:49 PM

Visted the dealer today and he said it was normal. The transmisson box is exhausting heat. While I'm still kinda worried. If it was designed to exhaust heat to the interior, what a stupid design!

Old 07-14-2009, 04:32 PM

Story continues...

I made another trip last weekend to one of the national parks near my home. The mountains are chilly and hilly. I was driving at around 20 mph. My wife accidently dropped a bottle lid when she was drinking. We pulled over and I searched under the passenger seat. I found the floor at the front passenger side is kinda warm! And the metal rail under the front passenger seat is even hotter. Has this happened on your H3? I will highly appreciate your answers.

Old 07-15-2009, 12:29 PM

Don't forget that the exhaust is routed in between the frame rail and transmission hump in that area too. Likewise, the Cat is close to the firewall and front of the transmission hump too.

My guess is that you are noticing heat from the exhaust system, not so much from the transmission. I've never owned a newer car or truck that didn't get hot in those areas after a longer drive and our H3 is no exception.

Old 08-08-2009, 11:06 AM
Default hot floor

Yes my floor hot at the center seat attachment points. Almost too hot to the touch. I too, have heard this is 'normal'.