PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

hitch wiring harness

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2010, 10:59 AM
Default hitch wiring harness

Supposedly, there are 4 wires somewhere under the rear bumper coming off the rear lights where you can attach a wiring harness for a trailer.

Is this a "remove the bumper" to find them or "retch up in there and grab holt of it" kind of thing?

Old 11-15-2010, 11:50 AM

I installed a hidden hitch and used that wiring and never removed a thing...except knuckle skin.

The wires are probably hidden pretty well up in there, but they are there.

If you add a hitch, it will take some wrangling and maybe a tire tool to maneuver the muffler a bit, but iy is doable. If you do the hitch a second person or set of jack stands are helpful.

I have an 08 Alpha....should be pretty similar regardless.

Old 11-15-2010, 12:00 PM

Hitch is already there. I just need to add the wires.

Old 11-15-2010, 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by J.W.
Supposedly, there are 4 wires somewhere under the rear bumper coming off the rear lights where you can attach a wiring harness for a trailer.

Is this a "remove the bumper" to find them or "retch up in there and grab holt of it" kind of thing?

It's easier to get at those wires from the top.
Open the rear door and look at the left side of the bumper, look at the gap between the bumper and the back of the cargo area. There's a wiring harness there. Pull the harness up and you will find a bundle of 4 dead ended wires, maybe with some wire loom around them. Those are the trailer hitch wires.

You will need to provide the 4 pin connection and join it to those wires.
It's best to get that 4 pin connector with about 2 feet of cable attached to reach your trailer connector.

Old 11-15-2010, 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by J.W.

It's easier to get at those wires from the top.
Open the rear door and look at the left side of the bumper, look at the gap between the bumper and the back of the cargo area. There's a wiring harness there. Pull the harness up and you will find a bundle of 4 dead ended wires, maybe with some wire loom around them. Those are the trailer hitch wires.

You will need to provide the 4 pin connector and join it to those wires.
It's best to get that 4 pin connector with about 2 feet of cable attached to reach your trailer connector.

Old 11-29-2010, 04:58 AM

Thanks for the replies! I'll take a look this weekend and see if I can knock that quick project out.

Old 11-29-2010, 08:14 AM

The wires on mine were not between the bumper and the body at all. They were under the body on the driver's side up in a large hole next to the "tip" of the muffler. I took a couple of pics this weekend prior to hooking up my harness. I'll try to post them up tonight if I get a chance for reference.

Old 11-29-2010, 06:09 PM

I laid down on my back and looking up and to the right of center I found the harness. Its higher up than I thought it would be. got ahold of it and pulled it down. The wires are colored the correct colors for the trailer harness you can buy anywhere! Wal-Mart had them but I stopped by the Auto parts store first and found a neat set with a tester and bought it. Crimped them on and been pulling trailer with lights ever since.

Old 11-29-2010, 09:40 PM

Hopefully, this will help in case yours are where mine was...

Attached Thumbnails hitch wiring harness-dsc_7956.jpg   hitch wiring harness-dsc_7957.jpg   hitch wiring harness-dsc_7958.jpg  
Old 11-30-2010, 03:34 AM

JDuncan, thanks for the pics! Not sure I would have looked that far back. That helps a lot.

Quick Reply: hitch wiring harness