PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Hitch install today...Horrible service..Now eng light and other issues!

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2012, 08:24 PM
Default Hitch install today...Horrible service..Now eng light and other issues!

Showed up at the hitch place today at my scheduled time. She said on the phone it would only take a hour..now she is saying a few hours because they are backed up. Told her I dont have a few hours I was on my lunch break. So she tells me I should have came in a week ago when my hitch showed up not now expecting it at this min..So I wait and she pushes mine up to get it done and I think great this will work out. The mechanic takes my H3 back and starts working on it. I decide after a while to walk around and take a look. He has the rear jacked way up, the key on, the A/C on high and all the lights and hazards going. (H3 is not running FYI) . Try and make a long story short. They are all done and its $100.00 more then I was quoted. I ask why the higher charge. She tells me that Hummers dont have a factory trailer harness and they had to hard wire it. Fine I pay it and start to leave. I pull out on the road and my check eng light comes on. I call them back and she says its nothing they did because they where never under the hood. The rest of that conversation is to long to type. They said to come back in a few days and they would disconnect my battery and re-set the light (No Thanks)...after work Im heading home still not happy about the light, and then I get pulled over for having a tail light out... Im pretty mad at this point and get home and find they blew the trailer fuses, and the L/R tail lamp fuse. I replace the fuses and it seems fine now. I decided to hit the On Star button to find out what the light is about. They said its a emissions code, and should shut off in the next 7 cycles. I wonder if they cut a O2 wire or what. Not sure what back there would set a eng light.

Old 03-14-2012, 08:33 PM

Aw man sorry to hear about this ordeal! I had to chime in and say I love my Onstar for this very reason; they can run diagnostics!
Also you should have installed it yourself and just asked the experts on this site, its what I do have never gone wrong!!!! Hope it all works out keep us posted.

Old 03-15-2012, 05:23 AM

"Emissions that will turn off in 7 cycles" > did you get gas before you dropped it off to have the hitch installed? That sounds like it might be the code when you don't put your gas cap on tight enough. Probably a coincidence.

You have learned a lesson in all this; your first question when you have anythign done to it should be "have you done this on an H3?"

I wouldn't think a hitch would be that difficult but when it's being attempted by someone who hasn't done one on an H3 they generally don't want to take the time to learn a new installation.

As hawaiian said in a round-about way, only way you know it was done right is if you do it yourself, especially with how few Hummer mechanics there are available to us.

Old 03-15-2012, 06:10 AM

Originally Posted by Rampage
She tells me that Hummers don't have a factory trailer harness and they had to hard wire it.
Wrong!!!
All H3's have the trailer wiring. The 4 wires needed are in the loom just behind the rear bumper. All that is needed is to connect those 4 wires to a 4 pin plug.

The forum is here to help each other.
Next time you plan on doing something to your truck, ask advice from this forum. We don't want to see anybody get ripped off because their not educated on an issue.

Old 03-15-2012, 06:18 AM

Yeah I learned allot with this ordeal. I didnt get gas before I went to get the install done. 2 blown fuses I found so who knows what else he did back there. She is telling me it because of the new ground wires on the frame. BTW thank you very much for the input. From now on I will do some more research and ask questions on here 1st. Love this site

Old 03-15-2012, 07:47 AM

Live and learn!!!!

Old 03-15-2012, 11:18 AM

I would take it to a qualified facility and get a written repair estimate of the damage they caused and how much it will cost to fix it as well as the cost of the ticket and present it to them in small claims. A hitch install is not exactly rocket science even if you do wire it from scratch.
I would have that thing fixed asap, blown fuses, things not working. Who knows what the install idiot tapped into good way for a fire though.

Old 03-15-2012, 03:48 PM

Update: I called them today and told them I got pulled over last night for no tail lights. They tell me my trailer must have a short and caused the fuses to pop...I had to explain that I have not even hooked up to a trailer yet...now they want me to come back tomorrow and have the owner of the company take a look and see what is going on. i dont think I want them prodding at my H3 anymore.

Old 03-15-2012, 09:37 PM

Only if you are standing over his shoulder while he explains why they did what they did. For a start maybe have him show you what exactly about a ground wire cost $100.

Old 03-16-2012, 06:10 AM

Before you go back, locate the factory wiring to show them where they could have very easily connected a 4 pin plug instead of running new wires and causing you these problems.

Open your rear door and look down in the gap between the body and the bumper, near the hinge side of the door.
You will see a wire bundle. Look closely along that bundle and you will find 4 blunt cut wires. This is the factory wiring for the hitch.

Something like this was all that you needed

Name:  18252.jpg
Views: 387
Size:  10.4 KB

Last edited by Bunger; 03-16-2012 at 06:16 AM.

Quick Reply: Hitch install today...Horrible service..Now eng light and other issues!