PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP!! Repeated Inner CV Boot Tears!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2014, 07:57 PM
Default HELP!! Repeated Inner CV Boot Tears!!

Hi Guys-

I recently put new tires, shocks/struts, brakes, callipers, lower ball joints, axle seal on my 06 H3/85K. It has a 3 inch lift. After putting the tires on I took it and got it aligned. I noticed the one inner boot was torn when they had it on the, lift. After taking a better look both of the front were torn. Fast forward 20 miles later, completely thrashed.

So I replaced them on Friday, drove it around town for about 20 miles checked no problem no clicking. Took it to see family today about 40 miles round trip and the new set is completely thrashed. Grease every where!

Any ideas?

Should I call it quits with the hummer or try to replace again?

HELP!

Old 04-21-2014, 06:25 AM

I'm guessing you maxed out the CV's.
Boots are failing because of excessive angle?
Boots are failing because of touching?
Chris

Old 04-21-2014, 08:24 AM

seems like there was a thread about lowering the front diff. it went on and on..lots of differing opinions there!!

leave me out, just saying,,,

Old 04-21-2014, 09:09 AM
Super Moderator

What 3" lift?

Old 04-21-2014, 07:49 PM

I think Happy Hummer nailed it after really thinking about it. The fins might be touching from the angle. I stopped at the garage I usually have work done that I don't want to do and they suggest getting some OEM boots and replacing the cracked ones. And also threw out the idea of RCV axles if they made them. I don't have deep pockets for that right now, but I did call them and suggested these

Replacement Inner/Outer CV Boot for Xtreme Lifted Truck Axles, and Outer Hummer H3

Replacement Inner/Outer CV Boot for Xtreme Lifted Truck Axles, and Outer Hummer H3

Going to give these a try. Has anyone tried them before? The gentleman on phone said they are stronger than OEM and allow for an additional 10 degrees of max angle.

If these do not work anyone have any solutions that have worked for them?

Old 04-22-2014, 05:55 AM

Please answer Doc's question about what lift you are using to get the 3" increase.
Is it a true lift or just a leveling kit?

Putting on new boots is just a bandaid.
We need more information, like measurement from the center of the front hub to the underside if the fender to get an idea about what you are dealing with.

Old 04-22-2014, 08:42 AM

Here is what I found after doing some digging. I replaced the suspension with Pro Comp ES9000s on front and rears. Lifted with a 2+ inch rear shackle and 3+ front Torsion Keys.

center of hub to underside is 26 3/4 inches on both sides in the front. Running 35 inch tires.

Last edited by JimyYeags; 04-22-2014 at 08:48 AM.
Old 04-22-2014, 08:56 AM
Super Moderator

Easy answer, you are way over max height in the front. Factory keys get you the same max = 23.5-6". Go beyond that, even with your aftermarket keys, you are tearing up the front, nobody's CV boots will take that punishment.

Last edited by Doc Olds; 04-22-2014 at 08:59 AM.
Old 04-22-2014, 09:01 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by JimyYeags
Here is what I found after doing some digging. I replaced the suspension with Pro Comp ES9000s on front and rears. Lifted with a 2+ inch rear shackle and 3+ front Torsion Keys.

center of hub to underside is 26 3/4 inches on both sides in the front. Running 35 inch tires.
26 3/4"? I think you made a mistake in measuring. Anything past 24" usually self destructs when wheeling in short order.

Old 04-22-2014, 09:11 AM

So I need to bring the front down close to 24 inches then correct? I am also assuming I can keep the after market keys on as well?

Quick Reply: HELP!! Repeated Inner CV Boot Tears!!