PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

HELP - Low Tire light will not go off

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2014, 11:59 AM
Angry HELP - Low Tire light will not go off

I bought a Hummer H3 in May 2014. A few weeks ago, the Low Tire signal came on. After having two nail holes plugged in my front driver side tire, The GM dealership just confirmed that there is nothing wrong with the tire sensors, all 4 tires are at the same pressure (38 psi), and the spare tire pressure has been checked...and the light is still on. The dealership said that I should "just live with it" or start replacing the tire sensors at $100.00 each (of course not covered under my warranty).

Does anyone have any suggestion on how to get the low tire signal to turn off?

Old 07-24-2014, 02:58 PM

Temporary fix - hold in the odometer/trip button for a second or 2
*will get rid of the message but the symbol will still show

Long term - replace them....
*I hope someone has another answer to this

Old 07-24-2014, 03:05 PM

In the dealer's world Tire Pressure Monitor Sensors (TPMS) may be $100 but in the real world they are everywhere for about $35 and any tire shop can install them.
TPMS are powered by a battery which can go dead. If the dealer is saying they are OK then say "live with it" or replace them, then why are they saying they're OK?
I would put more air in all the tires (I run at 40 psi) to see if the light goes OFF.
If not, then look in your manual for the TPMS relearn procedure and do it. Might reset the system.

I don't trust dealers and will go out of my way to avoid having any work done by a dealer if it's not covered by warranty.

Old 07-24-2014, 05:16 PM

TPMS could have been damaged during the tire repair?
You can take it to any tire shop and have them use a tpms scan tool to let you know which sensor is defective..

I recently purchased a brand new set of 4 oe acdelco tpms sensors (22854866) for my wife's 2011 cxl (I'm building a set of winter tires/rims/ with tpms), on EBAY---> $40.00 for ALL 4 shipped, to my door.

The H3 sensor should be #15122618
Check ebay, make sure they are new, batteries are only good for approx 10yrs..

Old 07-25-2014, 10:17 AM
Default Thank you

Thank you for all your comments. This weekend, I will be stopping by a Tire Shop to see they can tell me which TPMS has gone bad. I will then be viewing E-bay to see if I can buy a new TPMS.

The general manager of the dealership I took the Hummer to is a friend of mine. They are not a Hummer dealership. I agree that they did not know what they were talking about.

again, thank you for all of your help. Hopefully, this will solve my problem.

Old 01-17-2016, 01:10 PM

Does anyone know how to reprogram a 2008 TPMS that I just installed on a tire? I am more than happy to buy any device. Would not want to go to a Dealer.
Thanks

Old 01-17-2016, 10:07 PM

You don't reprogram the tire unit, you reprogram the truck's receiver to recognize the tire sensors. The procedure involves letting air out (or putting air in), all 4 tires, in sequence, while the truck is in "learn" mode.

Edit: From the owner's manual: Turn the key to the on position with the engine off, then turn the headlight switch full on and off 4 times quickly. The truck will honk 2 times and the TPMS light will flash, signaling that it is in the learning mode. Then start letting air our (or putting air in) at the left front tire for 10 seconds, wait, when the truck's horn chirps, move top the next tire and repeat. Continue in a clockwise direction till all four tires are "learned"

Last edited by 650Hawk; 01-17-2016 at 11:18 PM.
Old 01-17-2016, 10:43 PM

Originally Posted by yesdi
Does anyone know how to reprogram a 2008 TPMS that I just installed on a tire? I am more than happy to buy any device. Would not want to go to a Dealer.
Thanks
Go to your local tire store. Most will do it for free or charge $5.

Old 02-27-2016, 05:36 PM

I've been having a TPMS error for a while. The dealer checked it while I was in for some transmission work and said I had a bad sensor $200 plus s labor. Took it to a tire store and they said all sensors ch caked good, but after programming the error changed to LOW TIRE. I've got all five tires at 40psi. Do y'all think I should bite the bullet and geT new sensors, or try another shop programming them?

Old 02-27-2016, 05:54 PM

i have a slo leaker and im procrastinating! so the lite comes on at 30 lb and i pump to 40 and in 1-2 drives it goes out, till next time.

im pondering a new set,so i delay.
i have never retrained them.
oh 62000 miles.

Quick Reply: HELP - Low Tire light will not go off