Hummer H3 For the Hummer driver who wants the rugged look and off road capabilities of the Hummer, but in a smaller size and with a more fuel economy friendly engine.

Heater control bulb change. Dash removal

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2009, 10:19 PM
Default Heater control bulb change. Dash removal

Hi all,

The center control **** light recently stopped working and I'm not sure how to go about changing it. Any help on how to remove the trim pieces and get to the bulb would be greatly appreciated.

Edit, a few pics from last summer for views. No major changes this year except for yellow fogs.

TIA
Brandon

Attached Thumbnails Heater control bulb change. Dash removal-brandon-pictures-103.jpg   Heater control bulb change. Dash removal-brandon-pictures-105.jpg  
Old 08-12-2009, 01:16 AM

Nice Rig!!! Colormatched grill and it would be PERFECT!!!

Old 08-12-2009, 09:54 AM
Default heater **** bulbs

The bulbs cannot be replaced easily.
The 3 heater ***** are incorportaed in a sealed housing.
I did remove mine, and took the housing apart, but then a circuit board had to be removed. I stopped there and put it back together. By removing the circuit board, the bulbs might be accessable.
If anyone else has removed the CB and nothing bad happened, let us know. I know its annoying driving at night and my temp **** is dark.

Old 08-12-2009, 11:50 AM

This is just a guess on my part but I'll bet that the ***** are illuminated with LED's, not bulbs. These things are usually now designed with the goal to last the lifetime of the vehicle. Nevertheless, the control panel should still be fixable by someone with some basic electronics and soldering skills.

If you know someone with these skills, you can probably save a few hundred dollars by not needing to replace the whole control panel.

Old 08-12-2009, 12:04 PM

Hello guys,
on my 2006 H3 Lux (109k miles)a few bulbs in the HVAC, 4x4-Control and the powerwindow-control where broken.
Due to the fact that replacement-bulbs (with fitting socket) are not available in germany i replaced the bulbs with other lamps.

If you can solder, it's a very easy job and made in about a hour for only a few bucks. The bulbs are replaceable and you don't have to buy new parts if you are out of warranty.

First i started with the HVAC, to acces it, put your fingers in the power outletts of the center console and pull. So you can pull of the whole center console to acces the connectors of the HVAC. After unplugging you need a 7mm ratchet to remove the 4 screws of the HVAC.

The housing is closed with a few clips, you can remove with a flat screwdriver. After that you can see the bulbs.
Either you put replacement bulbs or you solder lamps in with 12V 0,62 Watts (I used this ones and they work fine.).

when you remount the HVAC, you have to take care that the front **** of the blower will allign with the switch on the back panel.

The 4x4-Control has only conventional lamps for the background light all others are led.

The 4x4-Control is mounted with 3 screws and the house is also mounted with screws. After unscrewing the housing you can pull the circuitboard out and acces the bulbs. Th ebulbs are soldered on the circuitboard. After unsoldering the old bulbs and resoldering the new ones you should put the light blue rubbers caps from the old lamps on the new ones, otherwise the light looks a little orange tinted.

Remount it and you're done.

The power window control has replaceable lamps, too. The have the same specs like the HVAC-Lamps. Only pull the Switchpanel out and you will see the bulbs mounted from the underside.

Hope i was able to help somebody, who is out of warranty, too.

Greets,

Jens

Last edited by jens; 08-12-2009 at 12:07 PM.
Old 02-27-2010, 09:29 AM

Very helpful. Thanks.

Old 05-12-2010, 11:17 AM
Default heater control bulb change (HVAC)

As with most of you I can't believe Hummer made the control assembly so that the bulbs could not be changed. I looked on this site and found "jens" reply with great photos on how to take the heater control assembly apart. Had I not found "jens" reply, I would never have tried to do this. I did it and it really was not hard. Kudos "jens" thanks. I did not want to solder in bulbs. I took the unit apart and measured the lamps and sockets. I found a company called "superbrightleds.com". Their "NEOx LED Instrument bulb-4mm" fit perfect into the circuit board. When I first put them in only one worked. If you have this problem you need to take the bulb assembly out and turn it 180 degrees. Now they all work perfectly. The bulbs cost $1.29 each plus shipping and handling. They come in all colors. I ordered the white and the ***** glow a nice blue. For $10.00 vs $425.00, I'm good with the blue.

Hope this helps.

Old 05-12-2010, 07:45 PM

Good info to know. A couple questions.......white leds are typically 3.2 - 3.6 volts, did you check the voltage output at these terminals before installing? I guess I would have assumed the original incandesent lamps were 12 volts, but if they were, you would have fried the leds, so I'm puzzled. Also, why did your white leds appear blue in color, since the **** lenses are also white?

Old 07-04-2010, 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by drtom
leds will show various voltages but ALWAYS have a resistor in series,to limit current,like these i think are 680 ohms.if the voltage was actually 12v and the led dropped 3 v there would be 9 v across the resistor and then appx 13ma of current.many leds run 10-20 ma. (.010 amp)

tom
What size resistor did you use? Did you use one per bulb, or one for the whole series?

Thanks

Old 07-05-2010, 05:40 AM

Originally Posted by hummerrat
As with most of you I can't believe Hummer made the control assembly so that the bulbs could not be changed. I looked on this site and found "jens" reply with great photos on how to take the heater control assembly apart. Had I not found "jens" reply, I would never have tried to do this. I did it and it really was not hard. Kudos "jens" thanks. I did not want to solder in bulbs. I took the unit apart and measured the lamps and sockets. I found a company called "superbrightleds.com". Their "NEOx LED Instrument bulb-4mm" fit perfect into the circuit board. When I first put them in only one worked. If you have this problem you need to take the bulb assembly out and turn it 180 degrees. Now they all work perfectly. The bulbs cost $1.29 each plus shipping and handling. They come in all colors. I ordered the white and the ***** glow a nice blue. For $10.00 vs $425.00, I'm good with the blue.

Hope this helps.
Did you use any resistors in your install? I just want to make sure...I ordered the same bulbs that you did....and electronics class was 15 years ago.....

Quick Reply: Heater control bulb change. Dash removal