Go Back   Hummer Forums - Enthusiast Forum for Hummer Owners > Hummer Lineup > Hummer H3
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Welcome to the Hummer Forums - Enthusiast Forum for Hummer Owners.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-28-2012, 10:45 PM

Default heat shield rattle

I have a heat shield on my exhaust rattling. Must be a more common problem. Some of the mounts broke. Can they be welded on easy or should I remove?

Some one know?

Thanks
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Hummerforums!
Old 03-01-2012, 02:35 AM

Any decent exhaust shop can fix this right up. I had the heat shield rattle combined with the exhaust on the compressor bracket rattle, it was like a metallic musical symphony when I started the engine.
Old 03-02-2012, 09:57 AM

That is what I did. Cost me a Whopping $5.00
Old 03-09-2012, 03:15 PM

Before this gets buried in the archive section. I wanted to show what was causing my rattle so people can save some time and money on their own H2.

The rattle I had is apparently one of the most common, it's not a heat shield but actually a very simple clamp issue. The picture shows the clamp about half way back that tends to go bad according to my exhaust guy. When the truck has the exhaust rattle, simply pushing on this connection, even slightly, will cause the rattle to stop. They just cut off my old one and placed a new clamp on and I was rattle free. My guess is that's probably the same with nlhummer, which would explain the low cost. For my repair, I also had my exhaust pipe rubbing on my air compressor in the rear, thanks to my exhaust tip. But even those 2 repairs combined only came to $20, and that involved actually cutting and moving the mounting bracket in the rear to clear the air compressor cage. This is a good thing to check so that you don't get screwed for a $200 repair for something simple like a clamp. Of course it's possible that it's more, but if you get under the truck, push on the clamp and the rattle goes away, you'll be prepared to start the lawsuit if they try to bill you for 5 hours labor. Before rushing off to a repair shop, it's always good to have an idea on what it might be, the internet, and hummerforums.com, are your friends.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3420.jpg (82.8 KB, 54 views)
Old 05-16-2013, 02:04 PM

worthy bump... I have this same problem and thanks to this post I am aware now ! thanks guys
Old 05-16-2013, 02:04 PM

Tags
attle, exhaust, fix, h2, heat, hummer, make, muffler, raddling, rattle, rattleling, rattling, sheild, shield, stop