Hummer H3 For the Hummer driver who wants the rugged look and off road capabilities of the Hummer, but in a smaller size and with a more fuel economy friendly engine.

Headrest / Seat back removal

Old 12-18-2008, 06:53 PM
Default Headrest / Seat back removal

Can anyone tell me how to remove the headrests and hard seatback covers from my H3? Trying to install some headrest monitors. Id like to figure this out without breaking anything.
I have an 06 with leather. Thanks.

Old 12-18-2008, 09:46 PM
Default RE: Headrest / Seat back removal

Hey Ronman.
I've just put some in mine.....It couldn't be easier.
To get the old headrest out there is a small hole on opposite side to where you press in to adjust headrest. You just poke something like a real small screwdriver or something while lifting up on headrest and it'll come right out. You'll have to recline seat a little otherwise it'll hit roof.
For the seatbacks, push in the leather at top back of seat near the top corners of the hard seatback, you'll see a metal clip. Push down in the middle of the clip with a screwdriver and it'll pop out. Do the same with the other side. Then about half way down the sides pull out away from the seat and that will release those two clips. Now the seatback will kind of swivel downwards. You can probably work like that or you can just lift the seatback off. They look like hooks.
Hope i've explained it ok. It really is easy. I put mine in a couple of weeks ago.
Good luck !

Old 12-19-2008, 01:55 AM

Awesome, thanks a million. That will save me time and some broken clips.

Did you run into any problems with wiring and such? Im still trying to decide where to mount the black box and how to run the wiring. Did you have any problems locatingconnections for the power and constant?

Also, Im curious about the parking brake wire. Since these are mounted in the back I dont understand it. I know dash mounted units have them to keep you from running video while driving(which most people know how to bypass). Do I actually need to make this connection. I couldnt find anything in the instructions related tothis connection.

Old 12-19-2008, 06:29 AM

Hey, no problem.
I took my radio out, center console and seat. Wish I hadn't bothered.
I ended up picking up the accessory hot wire and ground under the drivers seat.
I put the black box inside the back of the drivers seat also.There's plenty of room.
If you run into any problems give me a shout...
Paul

Old 12-20-2008, 12:39 PM

Exactly which wire did you use?One off the power seats? My set up requires a constant and one when you key up.Plus it hasthe parking break wire. Do I need to run that one?

Old 12-20-2008, 02:39 PM

If you need me to, I'll take a look tomorrow morning and let you know.
Mine just needed an accessory hot and a ground. There's a bunch of wires under there(everything you'll need) but not sure with the parking brake wire.
Let me know.
Paul

Old 12-23-2008, 10:41 AM

Thanks for the help ukpaul. That was a really simple install once you helped me with the headrests and seat backs. I did have some trouble routing the wiring from seat to seat. Couldnt figure out how to remove the center console. In the end it all worked out. Never figured out the parking brake wire.

Old 12-23-2008, 04:25 PM

Hey,no problem...
Glad I was of some help...
Now just enjoy !

Old 12-24-2008, 06:45 AM

Well, honestly it's for my wife and son to enjoy. I, I'll admit, am now the jealous husband. It's her ride. I'll probably just get to drive it on oil change and wash days! Although, I've got the bug now. Just might have to park my Superduty and get me an H2.

Old 12-24-2008, 02:06 PM

Yes, same here !
I just get the pleasure of washing it at the weekends..[sm=boosign.gif]

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Headrest / Seat back removal