Hummer H3 For the Hummer driver who wants the rugged look and off road capabilities of the Hummer, but in a smaller size and with a more fuel economy friendly engine.

Headlight and Electrical Nightmare!! Suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2011, 11:36 AM
Angry Headlight and Electrical Nightmare!! Suggestions?

Hi all,

So, I have a 2007 H3 thats started acting up over the past few weeks. When i first open my door, the dash lights come on briefly and it starts chiming as if the keys are in the ignition. It only does it when opening the driver door, no others. It does the same thing when i remove the keys after a drive and open my door. Now, about 3 weeks later, my auto headlights And fog lamps arent working. When i turn the headlights on manually, the high beams are stuck on. Fog lamps wont light up at all. Fuses are fine, not sure if the relay would cause any of these headlight problems. Sucks because I cant drive it at night in this condition. I would really like to avoid a trip to the dealership, so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!

Old 04-30-2011, 01:39 PM

wow, sounds like a hell of a problem. kind of sounds like you have a short somewhere but where i wouldn't know. myself i'd start at the pin switch for drivers door. remove it and unplug it. if that solves some of your problems i'd replace that at least. as far as the headlights are concerned, maybe your high/low switch is pooched. in that case you'd probably have to replace your whole signal light/cruise/high beam lever which shouldn't be just too hard. i would think a few screws to take off the plastic housing around the steering column and then a couple of screws holding the lever on, and theres prob just a wiring clip it detaches from(if it's anything like my car). or yeah you may have a bad headlight relay that's stuck on. your fog lights will never come on as long as your high beams are on so that's why that part is happening. seems weird that both the door and headlight issues are happening at the same time tho. those are my thoughts anyway.

Last edited by heyttsguy; 05-07-2011 at 11:53 AM.
Old 05-06-2011, 09:06 AM

Thanks for the input heyttsguy. Here's my not so good update. Took the H3 to the dealership two days ago and they informed me that it was the multifunction switch (signal/cruise/high beam lever). Against my better judgement, I ate the $500 price tag and let them install a new one. Like clockwork, here I am two days later with the same problems. I am starting to believe that there's a problem with the in-dash headlight switch or a simple relay, but I wouldn't know which one. The chime is definitely going off because it's sensing the headlights as on. I moved the switch to the on position, and then back to auto and the chime stopped for about ten seconds, then started sounding off again. Planning on taking it back to them on Monday and shooting a little steam out of my ears to get this baby fixed. Will post another update when I can.

Old 05-06-2011, 10:46 AM
Smile

My corvette had a similar problem and the lights had issues and the wipers would only work if the drivers door was open. Like drmeek said it was the door pin switch.

Old 05-07-2011, 11:59 AM

the headlight relay should be under the hood in with the fuses. if you look on the underside of the cover it should list what relays are for what. pull out the headlight one and replace it yourself to save you some cash, its just like plugging a fuse in and the relays are typically black in color. i'm unsure if there's an identical relay under there for something else, but if there is just do a swap and see if that fixes the problem. if it does then you know you need a new one.

Old 05-09-2011, 12:54 PM

Last night I pulled the low/high beam relay and switched over the relay from the rear window defogger. Cranked up and put her in drive, but the auto headlights still did not come on. Turned it off and replaced the relays to their original position. After having done this, I turned on the headlights manually and they are no longer stuck on high beams. Didn't touch the headlamps relay, as I didn't think it could be contributing to the problem.

Old 05-11-2011, 01:11 AM

I'd try the headlamp relay too.

Old 05-11-2011, 01:12 AM

i wonder if your light sensor in your dash might be bad as well....

Old 02-04-2020, 07:25 PM
Default Electrical problems in ‘07

headlights will not turn off when car is turned off. Replaced headlight switch and relay. Nothing has worked except to unplug and plug in the fuse every night. My doors will also chime to let me know my lights are on even if the fuse is unplugged. Just beyond confused at this point. Don’t know what else electrically to replace

Old 02-05-2020, 12:51 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Carley McCutchen
headlights will not turn off when car is turned off. Replaced headlight switch and relay. Nothing has worked except to unplug and plug in the fuse every night. My doors will also chime to let me know my lights are on even if the fuse is unplugged. Just beyond confused at this point. Don’t know what else electrically to replace
Welcome to HF. Forums work like this.... First search for your answers, if you cannot get the answers to what your questions are, then post a brand NEW Thread and avoid digging up a near NINE YEAR OLD Thread to tack on the end of it. Please take a click on this link in blue READ: Old Threads/'Necro-Bumping'

This thread is useless banter with no answers for your inquiry and hence no reason to add you question to the end of it.

Please post your question in a new H3 section thread. Consider this question when doing so.... do you have a sunroof? If so, has your front passenger floor been wet?

Quick Reply: Headlight and Electrical Nightmare!! Suggestions?