PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Header Bolts snapped???

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2013, 08:16 AM

Originally Posted by dohmn8r
I've had the noise/vibration for a little while and so I decided to check my bolts earlier today. Well it looks like I had one snap off also. I guess I'll be taking mine in to the GM dealership when I get some free time to see what they can do.

I attached a pic.
If the dealer will mess with it at all, they're going to KILL you on the price of repair.

Old 06-12-2013, 07:42 PM

Well the GM dealership said there nothing was wrong with the exhaust even though I told them about the broken bolt. However they did find both motor mounts were collapsed and replaced those under my 3rd party extended warranty earlier today -- I guess the potholes in Houston are worse than I thought.

Unfortunately, the vibration/rattle is still there, so I guess I'll take a closer look at it myself this weekend. On another note their car wash practically ripped off my rear license plate and they didn't even bother to bend it back in shape. At least they armorall'd my tires :-)

Old 06-13-2013, 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by dohmn8r

Unfortunately, the vibration/rattle is still there, so I guess I'll take a closer look at it myself this weekend. On another note their car wash practically ripped off my rear license plate and they didn't even bother to bend it back in shape. At least they armorall'd my tires :-)
Can you describe your vibration/rattle some more? A broken header bolt isn't going to cause anything to vibrate or rattle, you will just hear a ticking type noise which is exhaust leaking out before the header.
Sounds like you're having a different problem?

Old 06-13-2013, 01:38 PM
lex

Had the dealer do mine, there were 3 cost like 1100 bucks but worth it, also contacted GM to see if they would help with the bill and of course not....a known problem that didn't get enough complaints to launch a recall...

Old 06-14-2013, 08:05 AM

Originally Posted by lex
Had the dealer do mine, there were 3 cost like 1100 bucks but worth it, also contacted GM to see if they would help with the bill and of course not....a known problem that didn't get enough complaints to launch a recall...
$1,100?!?!?! You could have done it yourself for about $100! lol
That's insane.

Old 04-22-2014, 06:52 PM

I'm another guy who, this weekend, is replacing his cracked exhaust manifold and pulling out at least 3 broken bolts. For those who have removed their broken bolts, what are you replacing them with? Stock bolts again from the dealership? Or something different....

Last edited by SculptorMJM; 04-22-2014 at 06:59 PM.
Old 04-23-2014, 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by SculptorMJM
I'm another guy who, this weekend, is replacing his cracked exhaust manifold and pulling out at least 3 broken bolts. For those who have removed their broken bolts, what are you replacing them with? Stock bolts again from the dealership? Or something different....
I suppose you could get em from the dealer... Buut I'm sure they'd hsve to order them amd charge you god only knows how much for em. Or do like I did and go to your local hardware store and get some grade 8 bolts for just a couple bucks a piece.
Oh, and put some anti sieze on em before re installing incase you ever have to take em back out for some reason.

Old 04-23-2014, 09:01 AM

Thanks Bruce I will. Do you know size and length? I haven't pulled any yet and would like to be prepared by the weekend.

Old 04-23-2014, 06:48 PM

not just any antiseize (copper) high temp

dorman 03133

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/rn...ummer/model/h3

Old 04-23-2014, 08:59 PM

Thanks HummerZ. Although I hope I never need to take this manifold off. :-]
So one more question, why 6 bolts? I already did a search for them and saw this kit, but didn't pull the trigger because I have nine holes in the new manifold. Again, I have not removed the old manifold. I only have the new to look at, but it appears there are more holes than 6.... Are the lower 3 a different size?

Attached Thumbnails Header Bolts snapped???-manifold.jpg  

Last edited by SculptorMJM; 04-23-2014 at 09:27 PM.

Quick Reply: Header Bolts snapped???