PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Header Bolts snapped???

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2013, 02:54 PM

lol thanks.!

Old 06-05-2013, 03:43 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by bruceg
I'm going to pull the heat shield off mine tonight and see exactly HOW the bolt is broken.
If it's just the head of the bolt broken I'm just going to spray the sh*t out of all of them with PB blaster and work the broken one and the rest of them out, replace that gasket, and put all new bolts in it.

We'll see. If it's broken in or flush with the head I won't have a choice but to let the shop I called drill it out. Cause I'm DEFINITELY not going to try my hand at that one.
They almost always break flush with the head. Similar to Galvanic Corrosion coupled with the I5 vibration sets up a two fold problem. Head bolts break because of vibration, and the carbon steel bolts become anchored in the aluminum head because of the galvanic reaction of the differing metals. You would be better off drilling out the broken bolt with the exhaust manifold in place as a hard guide than trying to remove the others. A bit of wander is not a problem, pay closer attention to dept.

Consider yourself lucky if you can remove the other bolts without breaking at least one of those as well.

Old 06-05-2013, 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by Doc Olds
They almost always break flush with the head. Similar to Galvanic Corrosion coupled with the I5 vibration sets up a two fold problem. Head bolts break because of vibration, and the carbon steel bolts become anchored in the aluminum head because of the galvanic reaction of the differing metals. You would be better off drilling out the broken bolt with the exhaust manifold in place as a hard guide than trying to remove the others. A bit of wander is not a problem, pay closer attention to dept.

Consider yourself lucky if you can remove the other bolts without breaking at least one of those as well.
Oh boy. This post definitely makes me look forward to this...
I guess I'd need one of those 90 degree drills to drill it out, eh?

Old 06-05-2013, 07:24 PM

I guess I got lucky!
The broken one had nearly half an inch sticking out and came out super easy. The rest came out with no issues also!

Old 06-06-2013, 11:59 AM

Sh*t. I gotta re use my donut gasket and I'm HOPING it doesn't leak. No parts store around has one in stock and it will take 2 days minimum to get one. I'll just re use this one and if it does leak I'll order one then.
It looks to be in good shape and I know people often re use them without problems so hopefully this will be the case.

Last edited by bruceg; 06-06-2013 at 12:24 PM.
Old 06-06-2013, 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by bruceg
I guess I got lucky!
The broken one had nearly half an inch sticking out and came out super easy. The rest came out with no issues also!
Nice Work!

Old 06-06-2013, 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by hummerz
Nice Work!
Yes sir, thanks!

Old 06-07-2013, 08:24 AM

you should be fine to reuse the donut gasket. its the manifold gasket i would worry about reusing.

Old 06-07-2013, 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by sneakypigeons
you should be fine to reuse the donut gasket. its the manifold gasket i would worry about reusing.
Yeah I put it back together yesterday afternoon with the old donut gasket and it's jsut fine.

It's great to just hear my motor and exhaust (out the rear!) with no tick tick annoying leaks!

Old 06-09-2013, 11:22 PM

I've had the noise/vibration for a little while and so I decided to check my bolts earlier today. Well it looks like I had one snap off also. I guess I'll be taking mine in to the GM dealership when I get some free time to see what they can do.

I attached a pic.

Attached Thumbnails Header Bolts snapped???-photo-13-.jpg  

Quick Reply: Header Bolts snapped???