PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Header for 2006 H3 w/3.5L 5 cyl

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2015, 12:23 PM
Question Header for 2006 H3 w/3.5L 5 cyl

I have a 2006 H3 and considering putting a header on to compliment the high performance chip, new air intake system and magnaflow dual exhaust I am having installed. I'm considering having a header installed but have some questions I would appreciate getting some feedback on.
The header requires the catalytic converter be removed from the system. So the air sensor behind the converter will be gone. A GM mechanic told me that the "check engine" light will come on and stay on and there is no way to fool it. So sounds like my only option is to let is stay on and burn out. Any advice there?
The header I am considering is almost $900. Is there enough performance enhancement to justify a $900 investment? It's a Hummer, so of course I am not looking for speed! But I would like to have more low end tork and better accelerator response. My H3 has a factory 456 differential.
Really appreciate any advice you can give me. Especially if you have personal experience with a header on the 3.5 5 cyl.
Thanks all!

Old 04-11-2015, 04:49 PM
rsc

The chip is not as good as a PCM tune, I would look at PCM of NC or a local guy. The 06 only has one O2 sensor so it is the easiest H3 to put a header on with no codes. Most all H3 headers have at least ONE hole for the sensor. Expect about 30 hp from the header. Look into a ported throttle body for better response too.

Old 04-11-2015, 09:54 PM

I run one on mine, and the header alone really did not produce much of a feelable difference. I have no issues with lights on. I also replaced my O2 sensor when installing my header.

Old 04-13-2015, 08:21 AM
Super Moderator

Spend your $900 on the proven reliable performance boost package: an Intake; PCM Tune, Efan Conversion, Port Polished TB, and Cat back exhaust.

If your exhaust manifold cracks, then do the header.

Old 04-13-2015, 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by Doc Olds
Spend your $900 on the proven reliable performance boost package: an Intake; PCM Tune, Efan Conversion, Port Polished TB, and Cat back exhaust.

If your exhaust manifold cracks, then do the header.

this is the route I went. all together these make a very big difference

Old 04-18-2015, 08:11 AM

I just chose to save the funds and drive a little slower. No need for speed in Happy.
Hummer is just not meant to be a speed demon.

Chris

Old 04-19-2015, 01:14 AM

Originally Posted by Happy Hummer
I just chose to save the funds and drive a little slower. No need for speed y.

Chris

I do drive alittle fast, but the biggest reason for my mods are to be able to drive down the highway at speed without impeding traffic

Old 04-19-2015, 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by rsc
The chip is not as good as a PCM tune, I would look at PCM of NC or a local guy. The 06 only has one O2 sensor so it is the easiest H3 to put a header on with no codes. Most all H3 headers have at least ONE hole for the sensor. Expect about 30 hp from the header. Look into a ported throttle body for better response too.
RSC, thanks for the response. Do you have advice where I can find a ported throttle body? I've been searching and so far can only find them for a v8.
Regards,
Robert

Old 04-19-2015, 12:02 PM
Default Thanks!

Originally Posted by skeeter
I run one on mine, and the header alone really did not produce much of a feelable difference. I have no issues with lights on. I also replaced my O2 sensor when installing my header.
Thanks for the reply Skeeter!

Old 04-19-2015, 12:07 PM
Default Thanks!

Originally Posted by Happy Hummer
I just chose to save the funds and drive a little slower. No need for speed in Happy.

Chris
Thanks for the response Happy Hummer! Good point. I am not looking for speed at all. Just want to maximize my power. We have a remote cabin that requires 12 miles of dirt road and some two track. It's in the upper peninsula of Michigan, so spring thaw can get dicey and the snow is always deep. I pull quads, etc, and I don't ever want to be stuck back in there. No cell coverage and it can be a long hike out for help!
Regards,
Robert

Quick Reply: Header for 2006 H3 w/3.5L 5 cyl