PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

H3 Roof Light Bar Blew Off On The Highway Today

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2011, 12:07 PM

No picture.....

Old 10-27-2011, 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by Broken Halo
No picture.....
I can see the image. Perhaps you could refresh it? Press F5.

The link to the image is here: http://www.ghostriderlove.com/images...ghtbar1000.jpg

Old 10-27-2011, 12:47 PM

Here is a close up view of the roof where the roof light bar blew off. Wow, SOOOO dirty underneath where it was!! My husband used some black clips to keep the wiring from blowing all over the place till I can get this fixed.

If you have trouble viewing it on this site for some reason, the link to the image is here: http://www.ghostriderlove.com/images...ightbartop.jpg

Old 10-27-2011, 01:20 PM

Looks like the plastic cracked / broke around the mounting points. Seeing you still have the harness and it appears to be in one piece still, you should be able to purchase a replacement center section and bulbs and be good to go. Seeing its a 06, chances are it out of warranty. Also if you submit it to your insurance company, the deductible might be as much as the part depending on your plan. How about some close up pics of the mounting points?

Old 10-27-2011, 03:11 PM

I agree with Sundown, it appears that the plastic broke around the mounting points. It also appears that the dealer mounted the roof lights on top of the windshield weatherstripping rather then underneath it, so that the wind might have gotten inbetween causing uplift on the roof lights, tearing it free. hope that makes sense. I can attach a pic of how it was suppose to be mounted showing how the wind would move up and over the roof lights if you need....

Old 10-27-2011, 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by kauaineb
I agree with Sundown, it appears that the plastic broke around the mounting points. It also appears that the dealer mounted the roof lights on top of the windshield weatherstripping rather then underneath it, so that the wind might have gotten inbetween causing uplift on the roof lights, tearing it free. hope that makes sense. I can attach a pic of how it was suppose to be mounted showing how the wind would move up and over the roof lights if you need....
Yes, I would love a picture of how it should have been mounted. Thank you so much.

Old 10-27-2011, 10:54 PM

It wasn't supposed to be mounted under the windshield rubber, that really sucks though, cause you can't even get rid of the wiring without having those big holes in your roof.

Old 10-28-2011, 07:34 AM

Mine is NOT mounted under the top moulding.

Actually, it rides just on top of it and uses a strip of foam to seal it to the cab.

I'd start hitting eBay or the junk yards for a replacement kit, as those suckers are getting harder and harder to find and more and more expensive.

I bought a spare some time ago, knowing that **** like this could and would happen to mine at some time (knocking lights off, warping of the plastic, flying off in the car wash, etc.).

Been offered double what I paid and declined the offer as that be be like giving up my insurance.

Good luck on your search.....

Old 10-28-2011, 08:17 AM

maybe you guys had the old ones installed. i know there was a defect and they corrected them with a new part but i just had mine installed a couple months ago by the dealer that sold me the truck and the top moulding rides above the plastic so the piece does not 'sit' on top allowing air to flow between it and the moulding. i'll attach a pic here soon so you can see.... im not going to argue but this is how they installed it on mine....

Old 10-28-2011, 08:29 AM

i actually just found a pic which maybe you can see. if you still need a closeup, ill get one when i get back in town in a few days... you should be able to see how the moulding rides up and over the marker light plastic..

Attached Thumbnails H3 Roof Light Bar Blew Off On The Highway Today-roof-marker-light.jpg  

Quick Reply: H3 Roof Light Bar Blew Off On The Highway Today