PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

H3 Navigation system & Backup camera

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2009, 08:42 PM
Default H3 Navigation system & Backup camera

Hi,
I have recently joined this forum and currently have 2008 Hummer H3.
I am planning to replace existing audio system with In-dash navigation system comibined with stereo system and also would like to have backup camera installed. My H3 does not have a backup camera installed.
I am looking for info on what can be best system to have in In-dash and backup camera and what is the ideal place to fix backup camera?

Old 12-24-2009, 08:14 AM

I think you can use what ever brand nav unit you prefer. The best location for the camera that I have seen is flush mounted right above the license plate.

Old 12-28-2009, 08:12 AM
Default did the same thing

I put an Eclipse unit in the wife's H3. Back up camera wher3e he said. I have sirius, IPOD interface, NAV, and put DVD players in the headrests.
Hardest part was running the B/U cam wire....
Would suggest you go to Crutchfield for info, they are great for tech support, even tho their prices are not the best. They do have a r3educed area on website, and you may find a deal there.

Old 12-31-2009, 11:42 AM

Are you happy with the Eclipse? Im thinking of getting the AVN4430.

Old 12-31-2009, 04:00 PM
Default Happy

Yes, it works very well. It is over 4 years 0ld, and I;m sure newer units have more stuff, but for the money, I think it was a good deal. My wife loves the car, so it should be worth the cost. Only thing is, every now and then for a short period, the little car icon seems to be off the road a bit - always goes parallel to the road, and quickly corrects. Sound is pretty good - I'm not an audiophile. The IPOD intfc works well, but won't show pictures, only does audio files. Back up cam is very handy.

Old 01-06-2010, 03:58 PM
Cool

I have an Avic-D3 in mine and love it. I've been adding the goodies and am just about done. I've installed the XM component, Bluetooth component, and tonight plan on finishing up with the backup camera. It also has the hookup for the iPod. The interface is pretty awesome, giving you complete control over music as if you had the iPod in your hand.
That's what I'm researching now, how to pass the wires into the cockpit without drilling holes and where. Also, the best place to mount the camera.

While the Avic-D3 is not being produced anymore that I'm aware of, I think it is the best you can get for the money. If you get an old enough one, there is always the hack that allows for more options while driving.

So that being said, back to researching the whole camera issue so when I get home tonight I have a plan. Suggestions would be appreciated, especially on passing wire to the interior.

Do some research though, I'm very impressed with Pioneer, and they've only gotten better, especially with the allowance now of USB.

STANG
http://www.stangsgarage.com

Old 11-27-2010, 05:56 PM
Default consider a AZENTEK SMART MIRROR

HI THERE...i have a 2006 Hummer H3 and i went the route of a double din nav via ALPINE AND it was a nightmare...the system mechanism would freeze up when it would open to put in a cd etc......i decided to return the alpine and put back my Monsoon Cd stereo system and put in a Azentek Smart Mirror....it is fantastic....its part of the rear view mirror....larger than your standard mirror......The SmartMirror is a rearview mirror with integrated GPS navigation, Bluetooth hands-free cellular connectivity, and backup camera capability. The SmartMirror SM-450 is priced at $799 MSRP and features GPS navigation, Samsung 400Mhz processor, 2GB SD card for storing maps, pictures, and e-books, 4.0” Touch Screen LCD monitor, Integrated speaker, Built-in Bluetooth functions including Bluetooth hands free phone, Call History log, and Auto call answering.....here is the link.....i think i have the only one in town.
COPY AND PASTE THIS IN INTERNET EXPLORER.....you wont be sorry....a great investment.

now i did loose my ON STAR...BUT I WASNT USING IT ANYWAY...SO IF YOU WANT YOUR ON STAR TO WORK ....DONT GET THIS SMART MIRROR BECAUSE YOU WILL LOOSE THAT FUNCTION...i personally think that the smart mirror is far better and better usuage for me...but you decide.

http://www.smartmirror.com

Old 11-27-2010, 07:37 PM
Default back up cam

I mounted mine right above the receiver. I wanted it centered instead of off to the side.

Attached Thumbnails H3 Navigation system & Backup camera-dsc08004-800x600-.jpg  
Old 09-30-2012, 11:15 AM

I have a hummer 3 just got it one week ago.on the rear view mirror they have a back up camera and a map.no one can seem to tell me what device goes in the map side.do any one knows its a hummer Orr

Old 12-14-2012, 08:41 AM

Has anyone done this to a factory nav yet?