Hummer H3 For the Hummer driver who wants the rugged look and off road capabilities of the Hummer, but in a smaller size and with a more fuel economy friendly engine.

Better late than never....

Old 11-27-2016, 04:14 PM
Default Better late than never....

Ever since my wife purchased her '08 H3 Luxury, I've used the subject forum to research relevant issues/fixes, and gain knowledge from members with first hand knowledge of aftermarket modifications (i.e. wheels/tires, suspension, UCP and sliders, tunes, etc.). So for a little over a year now, I've had the go ahead to do whatever modifications I saw fit to the H3, but I haven't been able to pull the trigger, as it's the under powered I5. If only it were the appropriately powered 5.3L V8. Well, I finally decided to do something about it. I bought a H3T Alpha, and decided to put my wife's '08 H3 Luxury up for sale. If anyone's in the market, let me know. It's a gorgeous truck. Meticulously maintained. Never left the pavement. Anyway....

So as of Black Friday, I'm the proud new owner of a 2009 H3T Alpha w/ the Off-road package (electronic locking front & rear differentials). It has a Tuff Country 4" lift w/ their EZ-Ride suspension (Tuff Country front shock, rear leaf added to the stack). It's riding on BFGoodrich All-Terrain A/T tires (285x65r20) on 20" Fuel Octane wheels, and has a Snugtop Slantback bed cover.

The truck is from Alberta, Canada. The dealer I purchased it from got it at auction. If anyone knows the original owner, or happens to be a member, I would love to be pointed in their direction. Curious to see if they had a PCM tune performed, or any other information they could share regarding the truck.

If any other members have first hand knowledge of the Tuff Country 4" lift on the H3 and/or H3T, I'd love to get your feedback on the lift, and any issue/fixes you've encountered. I notice that there's uneven wear on all four tires. I had the dealership do an alignment before driving it home 600 miles. Not sure if there something more systemic going on, but want to get that worked out before purchasing new tires. Will take it into my local 4x4 shop for an inspection later this week.

With all that said, I'm looking forward to full fledged H3T Alpha ownership, and future participation on this forum.

Old 11-27-2016, 08:00 PM
Super Moderator

Welcome and congrats

Old 11-28-2016, 07:39 AM

Welcome to HF fellow T owner. Nice rig.

The Turf Country kit is a 2" kit which replaces the OEM torsion keys and adds an add-a-leaf in the rear.

Old 02-16-2017, 08:33 PM

Appreciate the welcome guys. Happy to finally join the club. Now the challenge of finding aftermarket parts begins.

FYI, the Tuff Country lift kit on my rig is actually a complete 4" lift kit similar to the Rancho. Don't think they made the 4" lift kit but a couple of years, and replacement parts are non existent The 2" kit which replaces the OEM torsion keys and adds a rear leaf is all that currently offered by Tuff Country.

Old 02-17-2017, 09:18 AM

Wow, you have one of a very few Tuff Country EZ-Ride 4" kits.

Old 02-17-2017, 02:00 PM
Super Moderator

Welcome to HF.

Underpowered I5? You obviously have never done performance mods. Mine can run circles around stock V8s while toting its Winch Bumper and host of heavy off road mods on 305 MTZs.

Congrats on the new rig.

Old 02-18-2017, 01:18 AM

You're right Doc. The H3 I5 was 100% bone stock. Never did any performance mods at all while the wife was driving it. In fact, I debated awhile whether keep it and start doing the mods, or sell it and get the H3T. Deciding factor was that the H3 didn't have the Adventure package. When I found a H3T Alpha w/ the off-road package, I didn't think twice.

I appreciate the welcome!