PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

H3 Headers

Old 11-30-2007, 07:34 AM
Default H3 Headers

Are these headers reallyfor the H3 and do you think they will give you the 20-30 hp? Anyone already do the research?

http://www.teakatoys.com/Hummer_H3_H.../3303-3645.htm

Old 11-30-2007, 07:47 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: H3 Headers

Note the term Header............singular is used when only refering to a one piece in line exhaust flange. Headers refers to two pieces as in V exhaust banks on each side of the motor, hence two flanges. Typed with pinkies up!

That part is for the 3, and you can get the darn near identical part for the Colorado/GMC. The factory exhaust manifold is designed with much better flow than typical exhaust manifolds of years gone by so IMO the claims of 20-30 HP is puffed and inflated. If the exhaust Cat was nixed, maybe 10-15???? That's my story and I'm stickin to it til somebody hasAWD dyno results that prove me wrong.

Old 11-30-2007, 08:46 AM

I agree Doc. Most modern exhaust manifolds are just cast "headers". I mean a cast "header". So maybe 10 h.p without removing cats. So if you have ever installed a set of header(s) on anything, and dealt with keeping them tight then you know why I'm saying it isn't worth the hassle. Considering the H3 doesn't spend a lot of time near 6000 rpm, depending on the header style, it can actually hurt low end performance. Like when rock crawling or trail running. I will now get off my soapbox.

Old 11-30-2007, 12:50 PM

absolutly.headers are really for the rigs that see 5000 +rpm alot,really no advantage to anything with less then that

Old 11-30-2007, 07:00 PM

I don't know about snakes on an H3...The exhaust manifold on the H3 has a built in Catalytic Converter, read "Close Coupled Catalytic Converter:.

Old 12-01-2007, 10:35 AM

The reason you don't get a Header or Headers on your vehicle from the Factory is due to cost. Almost all of your as casted exhaust manifolds are restrictive. Longtube header (s) tend give you more low to mid range torque and increase flow, short tube tend to give more mid to top end. As far as getting 20-30 Hp not on a 5 cylinder but on a V8 you will. I also found on the net if gut your catalytic convertor you will gain 10-15 Hp depending on the exhaust system, OEM or Performance. If you supercharge then going with a Header (s) you will boost performance as well. With Turbos the catalytic convertor (s) are your restriction then exhaust.

Old 12-02-2007, 08:33 AM

Absolutly no disrespect Gunny, but I think you have that backwards. Long tube headers are for high rpm performance, and short tube for low end torque. Also, take a look at your stock manifold. Most new vehicles have a tubular design. They're not perfect, but way better then the cast ones of previous decades.

Old 12-02-2007, 09:10 AM

Header configuration is a favorite, long-running debate amongst enthusiasts. However, it is generally agreed that:

ยท Longer header tubes tend to increase power below the engines torque peak and shorter header tubes tend to increase power above the torque peak.
ยท Large diameter headers and collectors tend to limit low-range power and increase high range power.
ยท Small diameter headers and collectors tend to increase low-range power and limit high-range power.
ยท "Balance" or "equalizer" tubes between the collectors tend to flatten the torque peak(s) and widen the powerband.

This list is an except from an article on exhaust theory I have. It addresses most of the issues we discuss when contemplating headers and explains theory behind exhaust system design. It agrees with pretty much all the theory I was taught in my engines theory courses in my mechanical engineering training and in my experiences since.

Old 12-02-2007, 09:18 AM

Maybe I do, but I had a set of TTI long tubes on my 07 Hemi and increase to about 50 (Stock exhaust)ft lbs of Torque down in the 3k & uprpm range. When they tested them on a dyno in the Sport Truck article they got61 ft lbs of Torque @ 3500 rpm, that is why I bought them and put them on. Your right when it comes to HPbut torque moves you.

Old 12-03-2007, 08:15 AM

Good info, and I should have been more specific. Not all, but most long tube headers tend to be on the large diameter side. Not all but most short tube headers tend to be on the small diameter side. And Gunny, what did you expect. It was a Dodge. That thing was jusk when it left the assembly line. Of course headers where going to help.[sm=joke.gif]Really I'm just kidding. I'm try'n to get you rialled up this morning. They say that's good for the circulation. Those were impressive numbers on the dyno. That means like like 75 ft/lbs of torque at the crank.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: H3 Headers