PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

H3 front end creaking

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2016, 09:46 PM
Default H3 front end creaking

I'm not going to break the forum law to bring back an old thread so I will start my own.

Story starts about a seven months ago...I all of a sudden started hearing this horrible creaking sound coming from the drivers front end of my H3. What the Hell is that I thought. I would only hear it when I would hit a bump, driving slowly over rolling pavement, or when the suspension would flex (city driving speeds), but it wouldn't happen all the time. I immediately thought suspension components or bushings. Over the course of the last several months I have lithium greased every damn bushing and joint several times, the noise would go away then come back. I was really getting fed up!!

The other day though, My young son and I were out messing around and I was under the H3 trying to find this noise again and he said "dad, it's coming from up here! He was pointing around the grill area. I thought he was crazy, after all, he is 6. I got up and started pushing on top of the grill and I actually heard the same damn noise that has been driving me crazy for the last seven months!!!! NO WAY this could be it.

Long story short... There is a strip of rubber between the top of the bumper, and the bottom of the grill (it is mounted to the bumper). I took the grill off and found that part of the grill support was rubbing on this rubber strip, it was cracked and hardened from friction of the two meeting. I cut away a section of this rubber from both sides (drivers & passengers) so there is no more rubbing. Well, I think that was it!!!!!
I have driven enough, and through places that I normally would have herd the noises and I can say that I have not had an issue. This sounds really stupid, I know. But I am just relieved I can drive without sounding like I have a cash for clunkers Hummer.

I APPOLOGIZE FOR THE LONG READ. I know that some of you may have these same sounds/issues so I wanted to share what so far was my "fix".

Last edited by pears; 08-23-2016 at 04:59 PM.
Old 08-23-2016, 03:13 PM

I have the same problem, hope this can help. Thanks for sharing!

Old 08-23-2016, 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by Mkawas
I have the same problem, hope this can help. Thanks for sharing!
Your welcome! Let us know. Just crazy how something that stupid can drive a person wild.