PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

H3 Fire!

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2016, 12:49 PM
Default H3 Fire!

Has anyone experienced or have advice. My 2006 H3 caught fire on Aug. 30, 2016 in the parking lot at AAA as I was in paying my insurance bill. The flames were coming through the passanger dash and front outside vent. The fire Dept was called and with the help of an employee the fire was put out after damaging the entire dash, windshield , front vents, sun visors,carpets and smoke damage to the entire inside. The fan motor and wire harness rolled out and put out by the firemen. It had to be towed. I went on the internet to find out there is a recall on 200,000 H3 from 2006 to 2010 for the Harness and the control module for HVAC motor over heating and catching fire. 42 reported and article by autoweek.com. My insurance company is looking at it but isn't GM responsible and should have to replace my Hummer. I never received a recall notice and feel that GM is responsible. I loved my Hummer and still really wanted to keep it. I've called Jessup GMC in Cathedral City, Ca where the Hummer was purchased originally by a friend of mine and am waiting for a call back from the service manager. I have owned it since May 2010. Please let me know if anyone has some advice for me to quickly get back into a Hummer!!

Old 09-01-2016, 03:28 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by mike mccormick
Has anyone experienced or have advice. My 2006 H3 caught fire on Aug. 30, 2016 in the parking lot at AAA as I was in paying my insurance bill. The flames were coming through the passanger dash and front outside vent. The fire Dept was called and with the help of an employee the fire was put out after damaging the entire dash, windshield , front vents, sun visors,carpets and smoke damage to the entire inside. The fan motor and wire harness rolled out and put out by the firemen. It had to be towed. I went on the internet to find out there is a recall on 200,000 H3 from 2006 to 2010 for the Harness and the control module for HVAC motor over heating and catching fire. 42 reported and article by autoweek.com. My insurance company is looking at it but isn't GM responsible and should have to replace my Hummer. I never received a recall notice and feel that GM is responsible. I loved my Hummer and still really wanted to keep it. I've called Jessup GMC in Cathedral City, Ca where the Hummer was purchased originally by a friend of mine and am waiting for a call back from the service manager. I have owned it since May 2010. Please let me know if anyone has some advice for me to quickly get back into a Hummer!!
Yeah, sure, GM should give you a brand new 2016 H3 for your trouble?

You have insurance, what's that for again? Oh..... that's right, in case it get smashed, stolen, or bursts into flames. AAA pays for it, they are then entitled to a subrogation claim when you take your check and sign the Release form to get that check (they step into your shoes) and can pursue GM if they think they have a claim. Of course that was a different GM than the current one.

There are recall Notice requirements that the manufacturer is supposed to follow, it does not include driving over to your house and knocking on your door. The recall was also published (and covered in the press), which is a Notice alternative for people that bought down the ownership line and/or have moved since purchase.

Old 09-01-2016, 03:32 PM
Super Moderator

I MOVED this out of the new member section so more people could see it and jump on in if they care to. Good luck.

Old 09-09-2016, 11:40 PM

Agreed, insurance is responsible. If they want to take it up with GM to get their money back, let them fight that battle.

Interesting that this covers all years H3's. We just bought our 09 a couple of weeks ago and nothing was listed in the car fax about a recall being issued. (As done by other manufacturers)
Guess i need to head to the dealership when i have time to see if i can get it done

Old 09-13-2016, 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by Qwksnke
Agreed, insurance is responsible. If they want to take it up with GM to get their money back, let them fight that battle.

Interesting that this covers all years H3's. We just bought our 09 a couple of weeks ago and nothing was listed in the car fax about a recall being issued. (As done by other manufacturers)
Guess i need to head to the dealership when i have time to see if i can get it done
Have the dealer run the VIN; the recall may have already been performed on yours.

Old 09-16-2016, 07:13 PM

Insurance takes over!
I've had my H3 for almost 5 years and it has only depreciated $2k from my purchase price according to kbb.
Go ahead and total it out, I will buy another 1.
On a side note, I replaced the blower motor module and connector shortly after I purchased it, and I received the original recall, and still receive recall letters in the mail, noting that my H3 recall has not yet been performed.

Old 09-17-2016, 09:11 AM
Default Why not?

Originally Posted by hummerz
Insurance takes over!
I've had my H3 for almost 5 years and it has only depreciated $2k from my purchase price according to kbb.
Go ahead and total it out, I will buy another 1.
On a side note, I replaced the blower motor module and connector shortly after I purchased it, and I received the original recall, and still receive recall letters in the mail, noting that my H3 recall has not yet been performed.
The reason your still getting recall noticed is because your H3 is still vulnerable to catching fire because it still had defective parts. Why not get the recall performed?