Hummer H3 For the Hummer driver who wants the rugged look and off road capabilities of the Hummer, but in a smaller size and with a more fuel economy friendly engine.

H3 dropping out of overdrive

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2015, 01:40 PM
Default H3 dropping out of overdrive

I have an intermittent problem I an drive around town for weeks with no issue ..If I get on an interstate for 20 mins my tranny drops out of overdrive
If I stop and shut the engine off it goes away for 10 mins and returns
Seems like a sensor of PCM problem Is there anyone out there with a solution?

Old 07-27-2015, 03:33 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by spb4444
I have an intermittent problem I an drive around town for weeks with no issue ..If I get on an interstate for 20 mins my tranny drops out of overdrive
If I stop and shut the engine off it goes away for 10 mins and returns
Seems like a sensor of PCM problem Is there anyone out there with a solution?
Year and model would be helpful. 2008+ trans are not controlled through the PCM, they have a separate Transmission Control Module. Mileage on it, and miles since last Trans fluid and filter change would be helpful as well.

When the 4L60-E can't hold full lockup, it is usually because of heat and crud.... and if you are over 100K miles, might need a rebuild. If you are lucky, a Trans fluid and filter change might be all that is needed, unless the crud already did some damage.

Old 07-27-2015, 05:15 PM

Its a 2006 and I had a Remanufactured tranny put in in 2011 It now has about 100K miles on it . I had all the fluids changed last fall and had no issues until this was completed. I was hoping it was something simple as I just put a new motor and exhaust system in it..Still love it will not trade in on anything as nothing compares to it

Old 10-05-2019, 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by spb4444
Its a 2006 and I had a Remanufactured tranny put in in 2011 It now has about 100K miles on it . I had all the fluids changed last fall and had no issues until this was completed. I was hoping it was something simple as I just put a new motor and exhaust system in it..Still love it will not trade in on anything as nothing compares to it
Did you ever solve this? I’m having exactly same issue as you and I’m stumped!!

Old 10-07-2019, 10:50 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Joel Young
Did you ever solve this? I’m having exactly same issue as you and I’m stumped!!
You too have a 2006 H3 with a rebuilt trans in 2011 with 100K miles on that rebuild??? What a coincidence.

Since we have no info from you regarding year, or miles, gonna be pretty hard to help a guy who tacked on a question to a FOUR YEAR OLD Thread.

When was the last time the trans fluid and filter were changed?

Old 10-07-2019, 03:17 PM

I still have my 06 H-3
I ended up putting a Transmission cooler on it and that helped make it last another 2 years
I have since replaced it again
Then 3 days later the transmission blew up on interstate
Come to find out it was a computer issue not regulating the transmission temp
its now fixed and running great

Old 10-07-2019, 10:04 PM

Glad to hear that. I recently bought an 07 H3 with 85k miles in excellent condition. I love it and declared it my forever vehicle. Although the previous owner was meticulous in his service on it, I have replaced the air filter, changed the oil, Cleaned the mass air sensor, throttle body, functionalized the black hood grille, modified and opened up the area where the air flows into the radiator, changed the fluids in the radiator, and replaced all spark plugs. With all this it runs cool, and perfect, except for a minor glitch. The issue is when I am between 2-3 RPMS, going flat road or slightly uphill and depressing the pedal ever so slightly, then it happens! The H3 begins to surge, the RPMs jump from say 2 to 2.75 and back again never really finding where it wants to be until I either press the pedal down or release the pedal fully. I am not sure what the issue is. I bought a code reader and get nothing! Other than this issue, the H3 is my dream truck!! Pics coming soon. If anyone can help, I would greatly appreciate any feedback or known issues on this. And by the way, the tranny shifts perfect, the fluids are also prefect and been changed before i bought it. So, I know it can't be a tranny issue...

Old 10-09-2019, 08:41 AM
Super Moderator

How long have you owned this truck? What you are describing best as I can understand is completely normal for the I5s. You put them under load and they shift out of full lock until the load reduces or speed increases to where the PCM calls for full lock up again.

Old 10-09-2019, 09:54 AM

Yup, sounds like you're describing the operation of the torque converter lockup.

Old 10-11-2019, 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by Doc Olds
How long have you owned this truck? What you are describing best as I can understand is completely normal for the I5s. You put them under load and they shift out of full lock until the load reduces or speed increases to where the PCM calls for full lock up again.
I have owned it for about 3 weeks. This is surely not a normal operation as it does it on flat and slightly uphill roads at around 2 RPMS. It jumps back and forth as if I was pressing the gas On and Off. IT does it going 30 mph and any speed up to 65 when the conditions are right. Perhaps it is a electrical or solenoid issue? I have no clue but it is very annoying and jerky to me and my passengers. Any clue?

Quick Reply: H3 dropping out of overdrive